User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dealing with Html Frames

Hi there !

I'm trying to test a part of our application that has multiple html frames: a static top nav frame, a changing left nav frame, and the actual main frame.

I was hoping there would be a way to declare the frames separately, so that at any point in time I could refer to a frame that should be displayed. For example, I could click on something on the left nav, then verify that the main frame loaded the page that I need before doing functional tests.

Basically I need a reliable way to deal with lots of html frames.. Does anyone have previous experience in this that might save me some time ?

Thanks,
    Nir Gilboa
    assetplanner.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Dealing with Html Frames

Nir,
    use each unique main frame as tag...
    your framefile should look like this

winclass YourApp : BrowserChild
    BrowserChild TopNav
    tag...
    BrowserChild LeftNav
    tag...

YourApp Frame1
    tag "[BrowserChild]unique/.."
    BrowserChild MainFrame
    tag "unique"//<-MainFrame tag as recorded

YourApp Frame2 ...and so on

...also notice that you don't have to redeclare the navigation frames(unless they have additional children from what you'll
    in your winclass declaration)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi john,

I understand your method and I have tried it before, having seen it on the forum somewhere else. Anyway, the problem is only the TopNav frame stays unchanged. The left nav frame is always changing.

To further complicate matters, SilkTest actually sees one mother frame for both the left nav and the right main window. So the hierarchy is as follows:

BrowserChild AppWindow
    -BrowserChild TopNav
    -BrowserChild Main
    --BrowserChild LeftNav
    --BrowserChild MainWin

From the point of view of SilkTest, it is always the same AppWindow and TopNav, which is fine.. Now the problem is how can I distinguish between two different MainWin frames without redeclaring an entire Main every time. If it weren't for the Main frame I could use your method.

Essentially I would like to be able to identify frames independently of each other..

I hope I made sense :-)
    Nir.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The answer is to nest the left menu frames inside the parent BowserChild. The problems is that each time you point the declaration recorder at the UI you will by default get the Top Nav, Main Content and Parent frames again. Just past the recorder results to the include file and delete the duplicate frames only leaving the left frame to deal with.

BTW if a frame changes dynamically on the fly, but still has the same indentifier TAG, what I do is just add the elements that change in the frame to the original declaration. You can do this as long as you do not use Index for a tag. DO NOT USE INDEX for a tag unless there is no other way to identify an object, it will cause you nothing but trouble as things get more complex in your declarations. I prefer to
    gets TAGs in the following order:

Text Tag "whatever"
    Windows ID "$htt*/folder/object.asp" (htm, html, gif, jpeg etc.)
    previous text tag "^WhateverIsBefore"
    Index Tag "#12"

and go out and shoot yourself if you have to resort to location Tag "(123,89)"

[This message has been edited by woodman (edited 08-07-2000).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi woodman,

I have to admit your post did not make sense at all.. I am still stuck with the same problem. Let me try and rephrase:
    I have a browser window that contains a top frame and a bottom frame. The bottom frame is further subdivided into a left frame and a right frame. I wouldn't have a problem if I didn't have this bottom frame to deal with. If I had three independent frames I would be just fine.

Both the right frame and the left frame change dynamically. That is, I have to be able to identify which left or right frame the application is showing.

Say I have two different combinations of left and right frames. Say in the first case the left frame is displaying page 1 and the right is displaying page 2. In the second case, the left frame is displaying page 3 and the right frame is displaying page 4.
    Ideally I would look at the window and say left is displaying page x and right is displaying page y. But I can't do this because I have this parent bottom frame.

However, I should be able to identify combinations: I should be able to say the bottom frame is displaying case 1 because the left frame = page 1 and the right frame = page 2. How could I define that in my include file ?

I tried to define two bottom frames for the two cases in a single window, but SilkTest failed to distinguish them. I tried to define two entirely different windows, which also failed.

Does anyone see a solution ? I'm trying to refrain from not using window declarations, because that would make my code a mess.
    Nir.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nir,

Please check that you are not using index tags for the two frames inside the bottom frame. This will make your Include file un useable.

Remember that Silk is ia Hirarchal Object Oriented tool. I declare windows like you are describing in about 90% of the web work I do, it can be a pain in the ***, but it can be done. Most frames I create end up being around 5,000 lines with one or two main BrowserChildren and 40-50 BrowserChildren underneath at various levels.

If you want me to explain how I structure include files email me your number and I'll call (I'm on Eastern Standard Time).

Regards,
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi woodman,

No, I am not using the index tag for the two frames.. Anyway, if you feel like posting a sample include file showing how you solved such a problem here, I would be thankful. I'm not interested in doing this over the phone.
    Thanks for your time,
    Nir.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you woodman and John yu !

Both of you suggested a solution that ended up by working :-) I cannot emphasize enough how much help from you and others in this forum has been useful and time-saving.

Thanks again,
    Nir.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You've got Hotmail. Hope it helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nir,
    ...try this
    BrowserChild AppWindow
    -BrowserChild TopNav
    -BrowserChild Main
    --BrowserChild LeftNav1
    --BrowserChild LeftNav2
    --BrowserChild LeftNav3
    --BrowserChild MainWin1
    --BrowserChild MainWin2
    --BrowserChild MainWin3
    of course there's really only one case of
    LeftNav and MainWin, since you just want to verify which case exists you can easily
    use select
    -----case AppWindow.Main.LeftNav1.Exists()
    john