SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don\'t know enough to get development to look into this more

I have found a problem with my AUT but it can only be reproduced when running a Silk testcase and only manifests itself around Silk so development is saying it's Silk and not the AUT. I have a programming background (10+ years before QA and Silk) but I don't know enough about system-level stuff to begin to debate with development about this or to explain it to Segue Tech Support with any confidence. I can say that this is a MAJOR problem for us and about 40% of our scripts will not run due to it. Help?! Details are below.

My AUT is a Java client app (no browser).

The problem is very similar to one I found a few months ago on a previous version of the AUT and we finally determined that it was due to a memory leak problem in Java. At the time we were using JDK 1.2.2 (with Silk 5.0.2) and supposedly JDK 1.3 fixes the problem. Also at this time the problem took 9-12 iterations of invoking the AddUser dialogbox, expanding tree branches, dismissing the dialogbox before the problem appeared.

Now I have JDK 1.3 and Silk 5.0.3.1 and I'm getting similar symptoms with this same dialogbox. This time the symptoms are immediate (first or second iteration) and extremely repeatable so I went directly to development. They used a tool called Optimize-It and have concluded that the problem is not that Java or our app is doing anything wrong in regard to memory, but that the problem is in Silk.

Here's the details of the AUT behavior:

I have a dialogbox named AddUser that has a treeview to select a directory service (Windows or LDAP) then nested under Windows (that's where I'm working these days and will be simpler for folks to comprehend) are the domains and under the domains are the users in that domain.

Scenario #1: The domain that I usually use (and that my logged in username is in) is named QA and it has 10,000+ users in it (no kidding - 10K). After expanding the domain (QA) branch and waiting about a minute for the data to load, Silk can no longer see anything other than the dialogbox - none of the controls on it. The treeview control's identifier is AddUser.Users. I'm using (AddUser.Users.Exists () to determine if Silk can see the treeview control. Silk can see it before the AddUser.Users.Expand ("QA") line (duh!) then it can't afterwards. I have alo manually verified this using Record Identifiers after the testcase aborts. This does NOT happen when I drive the app manually with Record Identifiers going at the same time. It happens only when Silk is executing the testcase and driving the app. If I leave Record Identifiers running while I manually restart my AUT, after the restart the Record Identifiers window all of a sudden indicates that it can again "see" everything. Very weird!

Scenario #2: I do the same kind of thing but use a domain that has only a dozen or so users in it. The domain branch expands fine so I then dismiss (click Cancel) the dialogbox then go back to the top of the loop to invoke the dialogbox and expand the tree branches again and keep doing this over and over. On NT4/SP5 after a reboot I can get this loop to execute about 64-67 times (less iterations if I've done other things since reboot) then when I get to the point of expanding the directory service branch (Windows, in this case) there is nothing nested under it so the script blows up when I proceed to expanding the domain branch. The only way I've found to correct the problem is to restart a "service" that is part of the AUT. Simply restarting the UI part of the AUT does not clear up the problem. This indicates to me that the problem is in the AUT but development says no.

[This message has been edited by pcostigan (edited 08-03-2000).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: I don\'t know enough to get development to look into this more

Polly,

After the Expand is complete you might try an AddUser.GetChildren() to force Silk to re-assess the dialog's contents. John Green suggested this use in another recent thread regarding HTML. And your use of Record Identifiers (which must use getChildren() command quite often), seems to add credence to the approach.

Hope this helps.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: I don\'t know enough to get development to look into this more

Hi Polly,

Wouldn't it be nice if you can demo the same kind of test to your developers using a different application (not written in Java of course) and see if the problem you saw is still showing up?
    (There's just too many stories we've heard before about Java and the Hollow Mem) oops..