SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: using the Load[DOM | VO]Extension() method

I am not sure about switching between the VO and DOM extension, but if you are having a hard time seeing borderless tables, what you can do is go into your domex.ini file and change 'ShowBorderlessTables' to equal '1'. By default it is set to .5 and you can change it however you want from 0 (seeing no tables) and 1 (seeing all tables including borderless). Hope that helps.
    Natasha Bykhovsky
    QA Engineer
    Octopus Inc.

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

using the Load[DOM | VO]Extension() method

I am setup statically to run with the IE 5.01 browser, using the DOM object recognitition extension.

At this point I have determined that I am able to correctly see objects via the DOM extension feature [i.e. the domex.inc include file is being used, and I can "see" the HTML programmer specified names for many of my page's objects]. But, of course, I am having problems with borderless table recognition on some very strange and complex tables.

So, I try to "dynamically" switch from DOM to the VO extension in my script using the Browser method, Browser.LoadVOExtension(). [Thereafter I plan to dynamically parse a page table]. This technique is described on page 12 in the SilkTest 5.02 Testing Web Applications tutorial manual. The two code statements of interest are:

Browser.LoadVOExtension() // and
    Browser.WaitForReady()

But I get the following timeout error from Silk when attempting to set the browser to the ready state with the Browser.WaitForReady() method:

[ ] *** Error: Window '[MainWin]$explorer5_DOM[1]' was not found
    [ ] Occurred in WaitForReady

With the Browser.LoadVOExtension() call commented out all runs well. So it looks like Silk is still trying to use the DOM extension, even after I make the Browser.LoadVOExtension() method call.

It seems to me that it would be quite difficult for Silk to dynamically switch between these two extensions, when if fact the agent and Silk itself have to switch in tandem [but it could certainly be done].

So, my question is, is anyone out there successfully switching dynamically between VO and DOM mode using the Browser.LoadVOExtension() and Browser.LoadDOMExtension() method calls?

-Thanks, Terry Horwath

[This message has been edited by Terry Horwath (edited 08-01-2000).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tasha95129, I agree with you. I haven't had time to try switching on the fly, but changing the INI file setting may be more productive. However I noticed that for some applications going to Zero instead of One may be easier to handle. I couldn't care less if menu controls and static text are included in a table (which seems to happen all of the time with it set to 1) just because the programmer used a table to lay out the page. I would rather get good tags for these items and it is much easier when they are outside of a table.

Although I think DOM will be a blessing for Silktest, there is very little chance of it being backward compatable. So I think it may be time re-evaluate the best methods for creating declarations for UI's

[This message has been edited by woodman (edited 08-02-2000).]

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am aware of, and am using, the domex.ini 'ShowBorderlessTables' settings. I experimented with this setting before trying to dynamically switch between VO and DOM object recognition. But the manual [as I referenced in the first post] states that it is possible to switch between the two modes during runtime.

So my question still stands--has anyone successfully used this "on the fly" mode?

-Thanks, Terry Horwath

P.S. My actual problem was tracked down this afternoon to an empty table row statement in a friggin table. While legal [but very bad form] it has already been noted by many on this forum that this cause SilkTest 5.0.3.1 to go bonkers [which it surely did in my situation].

[This message has been edited by Terry Horwath (edited 08-02-2000).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Terry,
    I'm switching between the DOM and VO on the fly. To make it work, I first created window declarations using the recorder with first the DOM extensions loaded and then for the particular sections requiring VO, the VO extensions loaded. Also, I set up a script that would list all the children of a particular page that Silk sees with the VO recognition loaded dynamically. I found some things to be different (specifically pushbuttons in dialogs seen as text) and thus modified the window declarations accordingly. Now for the test scripts, I can run everything with the DOM extensions using the DOM window declarations, load the VO dynamically, use the modified VO declarations to manipulate the particular section, and then switch back to DOM and DOM declarations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had that same error when I started switching from VO to DOM (I am only using DOM where needed, so I can test everything else with other browsers).

What I was doing at first was the same as you:

[ ] // Enabled DOM Extenstions for IE
    [ ] Browser.LoadDOMExtension()

What I found I needed to do was to also set the browers type:

[ ] // Enabled DOM Extenstions for IE
    [ ] Browser.LoadDOMExtension()
    [ ] SetBrowserType(explorer5_DOM)

Then when I turn it off:

[ ] // Reset to VO Extensions
    [ ] Browser.LoadVOExtension()
    [ ] SetBrowserType(explorer5)

Also I needed to turn it off if an exception occured so that the next steps could continue (in VO mode)

------------------
    David Genrich
    Icarian
    555 North Mathilda Ave
    Sunnyvale, CA 94086
    davidg@icarian.com