Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Blue Express is gone. What to use for Mainframe?

Segue/Borland discontinued BlueExpress add-on for SlikTest in Sept 2006 (kb #23709). I need to do some mainframe automation. What's the next best solution?

I've tried automating a terminal (Exceed Host Explorer), but Silk doesn't type the <End> key correctly, which I have mapped to 'Erase-EOL' thus leaving me stuck with no way to clear a line. I've tried mapping 'Erase-EOL' to other keys with no luck.

I can't get it to type the 'delete' key either- it types the numeric keypad 'del', which is read as a '.' by Host Explorer, regardless of the key mapping.

Has anyone come up with a SilkTest based solution on WindowsXP to automate Mainframe (3270) data entry/retrieval?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Blue Express is gone. What to use for Mainfram

SilkTest should type the <End> key ok! as it's a standard key.
    But... Different applications will have different responses. I would suggest looking up "win32" in the help to see if modifying this will help in how the application and SilkTest respond to changes in keyboard playback.

I would also investigate the response of the the application to different key press combinations. You may find a short cut that may have the same effect. Also try aiming the typekeys at a higher level such as the MainWindow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

We've actually had to stick to using SilkTets 7.6.1 for any AS400 applications because it still uses the Blue Express extension. Otherwise, I don't think you'll be able to get anything to recognize it.

Downside of using SilkTest 7.6.1 is that Borland won't support any issues you have.
    Co-Founder
    Pixel Junction - Websites Done Right!
    www.mypixeljunction.com

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

That would be fine, we are still on 7.5.

Sadly, I cannot get BlueExpress from the support website. Anyone have a way for me to get it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I've used SilkTest with HyperTerm and SuperTerm. Both allowed us to scrape the contents of the display via interacting with the clipboard. See http://www.qaforums.com/uploads/1108739871.zip for code sample and http://www.sqaforums.com/showflat.ph...p;Number=27236 for a thread discussing this kind of thing.