SPONSORS:

User Tag List

VS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is SilkTest stable enough for Stability tests??

Hi All,

I have developed a test script using SilkTest 501, which is looped to run for 80 hrs to perform the stability test for the my client Java application. When I run this test script, after around 5 hrs, SilkTest gets tired & does not recognize any of the Windows under the JavaMainWin & exits the test by following error in the .res file :

"*** Error: Window '[javax.swing.JRootPane]#1' was not found"

Well, even though the same javax.swing.JRootPane was visible & used for previous rounds of test, now SilkTest doesn't find it any more. When I tried to record the windows declarations for the same window at this point, as expected, SilkTest was just listing the JavaMainWin & none of the child windows(e.g. JRootPane) were listed in the 'Record Windows Declarations' dialog. I cannot figure out whether SilkTest failed the stability test or my application.

Can you please let me know if you have come across similar problems & if there is any solution to it. Is SilkTest stable enough to do a 80 hrs stability test on a java application??

Waiting for your reply,
    VS

AJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Is SilkTest stable enough for Stability tests??

For stability testing I recommend SilkPerformer not SilkTest. SilkTest is really for functional testing.

------------------
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.

AJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I forgot to say that no application is stable enough to run 80 hours without hanging or crashing, at least not on Windows

Most likely you're running out of resources or your Java application has a memory leak, or of course SilkTest But I've successfully run many scripts on Browsers for a week, the catch is I had to restart the Browser every 5 minutes because usually the browser causes Silk to hang and the browser crashes

------------------
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup. Windows stability is an oxymoron.
    If you think about it, the word window really implies fragility.. I don't much thought was put into that

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is almost exactly what my Java App does
    when a memory leak become critical. Keep
    track of the size of your java.exe in the
    Windows task mangager and you will always see
    the problem when java.exe gets to a certain
    size. At that point you need to restart your
    java app. If it takes a while to get the memory leak fixed (it usually does), there is a command line option that will give java extra memory and postpone the inevitable.
    (I gave mine 128Mb!)
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I seem to be getting a lot of application errors with Silk and Internet Explorer 5.0x. I am using the DOM extension and it seems like I can make one pass thru a test and not get an application error, but if I run the same test again, I get the error. Is there anyway to give Segue the necessary info that they need to fix these types of errors? Are these considered memory leaks? The error is always something like:
    "The instruction at "0x77f647bc" referenced memory at "0x00000030". The memory could not be "read"."
    Anyone have suggestions for gathering the necessary info to give to Segue?

Thanks,

[This message has been edited by Kevin Gehrke (edited 07-24-2000).]