SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DHTML Menu Recongnition

has anyone tried automating DHTML menus (menus that use layers) with SilkTest? We are moving into that route and Silk can see the menu titles as HTMLHeadings, but not the layer that then pops up.

Due to non-disclosure, I can't put up the site I am testing, but if needed, I'll make a sample site that shows the problem.

Since many sites are going this way (DHTML Menus), figuring this out would benifit many people.

------------------
    David Genrich
    Icarian
    555 North Mathilda Ave
    Sunnyvale, CA 94086
    davidg@icarian.com

Re: DHTML Menu Recongnition

Just wondering if you have any solution for this problem. I'm facing with the same problem in our application.

thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, there is a solution.

Solution 1: Have development add a small icon graphic next to each menu item. This can make it look better, and allows SilkTest to work with the menu.

Solution 2: Have development make the "text" lables of the menu into graphic labels. Then, SilkTest can work with them, and the look remains the same as it does if it is just text.

Note for both solutions: The DHTM menus need to be so that you can click on something to have them appear, and not vanish if the mouse pointer is moved off the menu.

All of the above requires that development realize that in order to automate, some changes in layout need to be done - but if can be done to fit both the functional specification and the automation specification. In some places, this is difficult. In others, it isn't a problems.

------------------
    David Genrich
    Icarian
    555 North Mathilda Ave
    Sunnyvale, CA 94086
    davidg@icarian.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

curious, are you using DOM based frames? Pretty sure if you use conventional silk frame (VOM) that pages written in DHTML will fail (that's what I had found with DIV tags anyway)

------------------
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>It doesn't matter if I go to heaven or to hell, I have friends in both places.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    <BLOCKQUOTE]<font size=1 face=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]quote:</font]<HR]It doesn't matter if I go to heaven or to hell, I have friends in both places.<HR]</BLOCKQUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am now using DOM based, but I did do it prior in IE with VO. The only item development needed to do was add an image to each menu item so that SilkTest could see it. Well, they also needed to set it so I could click on the menu and get the menu to stay until something was clicked.

I have been informed (warned) that the next
    UI will use pop up menus (DHTML). Does
    anyone know of publicly accessible examples
    of dynamic html menus that Silk would be
    able operate? I might be able to make some
    concrete suggestions to the developers.

I have done some experiments on a DHTML
    demo site but nothing is being recognized
    by Silk (5.0.3.2 DOM). The demo site is at:
    dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/index.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just went and looked at some of my bookmarks. Try to record this site:

http://www.projectseven.com/dreamwea...yout/index.htm

This one has the graphics fancy, but it can be done simple, transparent, or, even in text, as long as there is an image icon next to each menu item (kind of like the Windows Start menu).

Hope this helps

David Genrich