SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5.0.3.1 frustrations

I've just given up on 5.0.3 and the 5.0.3.1 patch after 8 frustrating days. I've had to roll back to 5.0.2 for the following reasons:

In 5.0.3, there is a bug that with HtmlPopupList controls with the onChange property. The onChange is not triggered by the Silk Select(). This bug is fixed with the 5.0.3.1 patch.
    However, after installing the 5.0.3.1 patch, I found that I had trouble with HtmlTextFields with the onBlur property. In a strangely similar pattern, the onBlur was not triggered by the Silk SetText(). I worked around this one after using trial and error to find a set of keystrokes that would force my app to update.

The final straw came today when I found that another HtmlPopupList wouldn't retain its selection after a Silk Select() and a Browser refresh.

Not wishing to spend another half day developing a work around, I rolled back to 5.0.2. Guess what, all these bugs disappeared and the work arounds aren't necessary any more.

As an added benefit, 5.0.2 can see all the objects in a third level nested BrowserChild that 5.0.3 and 5.0.3.1 cannot see. I thought that this was because of the way the BrowserChild was being rendered, but it turns out to be yet another bug in 5.0.3.

Hope this saves some of you from the hassles.

Steve Vizzini

P.S. Found yet another bug in 5.0.3: it tries to tag an HtmlPopupList with the concatenation of it's contents. Won't work if the contents change at all.

[This message has been edited by svizzini (edited 07-14-2000).]
    mechanic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: 5.0.3.1 frustrations

Hi Steve,

I'm curious about a few of your comments

As an added benefit, 5.0.2 can see all the objects in a third level nested BrowserChild that 5.0.3 and 5.0.3.1 cannot see. I thought that this was because of the way the BrowserChild was being rendered, but it turns out to be yet another bug in 5.0.3.

Can you point me to a page where I can see what you describe above?

Were you using the IE5DOM in your 5.03 experiments?

------------------
    John W Green
    jwgreen@automationexpertise.com
    http://www.automationexpertise.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I am using the DOM extension.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any public web sites that do this sort of thing and I'm no expert in Html. I spent a couple of hours trying to hack out a simple site, but was unable to reproduce the problem I'm seeing in our application. (I did, however, notice that Silk does not seem understand the true and correct hierarchy of the nested pages.)

The problem with nested pages that I'm seeing is happening when an application, such as ours, "contains" an entire web site in a frame. When this happens, at some level (4th I think), Silk no longer recognizes any of the Html controls in the "contained" page.

The nesting is not within a single frameset. It is the kind of nesting that happens when a frameset contains a frame that contains its own frameset which calls another frame that contains another frameset... etc.

Since I posted this, I have walked through all the supported versions -- from 5.0.1 to 5.0.3.1 -- investigating my problems in each version.

Turns out that I am able to make the 5.0.3.1 DOM extension work, but I still have to do work arounds for the most dynamic controls.

For example, HtmlTextFields with the onBlur property do seem to work as long as I increase the OPT_KEYBOARD_DELAY to .1. I did this by extending the SetText() to check for the class of the object, and, if an HtmlTextField, slow down.

The problem with the HtmlPopupList that won't retain its selection after a Silk Select() may be a bug in our application, but I'm still not sure.

Since I do have work arounds for the problems that remain, I'm happy to say that I can use 5.0.3.1 for this project.

BTW, you probably already know this, but the DOM extension is NOT backward compatible with the older VO window declarations. It does, however, do a better job with recognizing objects in spite of its limitations or bugs.

As a final note, I have to say that Segue's tech support has been prompt and efficient in working with me on this. I haven't been able to say this in a long time, but I have to give credit to them this time. They did a good job on this call.

Steve Vizzini

------------------
    Steve Vizzini
    Test Automation Developer
    mechanic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One more note: after further investigation, the problem with "nested browserchild windows seems to be caused by the use of "IFrames". Again, since I'm not an HTML expert, I can't speculate on why this is a problem.

------------------
    Steve Vizzini
    Test Automation Developer

[This message has been edited by svizzini (edited 07-26-2000).]
    mechanic