SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Testing non-GUI Java objects

I need to test some java classes that have no GUI. Is there a way to have SilkTest instantiate the class and then call its methods for test purposes?

It looks like the SilkTest InvokeJava() method might do what I want, but all the examples in the on-line help show a GUI object being used to invoke the non-GUI object:
    GUIObject.InvokeJava ("JavaClassName", {params})

Anyone have any luck doing this? Is there a way to test a stand-alone java class using SilkTest? Or did you have to create a dummy Java GUI for SilkTest to use?

Any help or examples would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff

[This message has been edited by jpetersen (edited 07-14-2000).]

rg
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Testing non-GUI Java objects

You can use InvokeJava but it requires that there be at least one Java GUI object on the screen.

You could also use SilkPilot to do what you need. And it is completely GUI driven => no scripting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can the "Java GUI object on the screen" be any java GUI object? For example, could I just create a small Java applet that puts up a form and then call InvokeJava() through it?
    MySimpleJavaGUIApp.InvokeJava("ClassToTestObject", {})

Or does the Java GUI object need to be derived somehow from the non-GUI class I want to test?

I never would have thought of SilkPilot. I thought it was just for CORBA testing. Have you used it to directly test Java classes?

Thanks for your help.

Jeff
    jeffbpetersen@yahoo.com

rg
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Java class can be anywhere on the screen. Basically, SilkTest needs some Java object to "hook" into. That should do the trick. And, no, you don't need to have it derived from your non-GUI class. You just need to have your non-GUI class in your classpath.

As for SilkPilot, it now has EJB testing capability that might work for you. You can download it from Segue's site.