SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hard product crash recovery

I have an application and a test script. During the course of the test script, the application experiences a hard crash. In Windows NT4.0 SP5, it presents a dialog giving the memory violation addresses. At this point, the test script hangs. If I manually dismiss the crash dialog(s), after a few seconds, the test script resumes. It does not, however, ever recognize nor dismiss the failure dialog.

I have an executable called kill, which uses the TerminateProcess API. I attempt to kill the process this way and, though it reports success, the process does not actually get killed. I also attempt to kill the process via the task manager, and here again, the process is not killed.

So far, I am only able to kill the process manually by closing the dialog (from task manager or the dialog itself), or dismissing the dialog. I have not yet found a way to kill the process without human intervention.

I am looking for any insights about how to either use Silk for this purpose, or even a WatchDog type of executable to watch (say) over Silk and detect when it is hung waiting for a crashed process. I am unsure about what to do from here to address this problem.

Incidentally, I have attempted to use SetTrap (version 5.0.2), but have not had any success with this method.

Any insights or comments?

Thanks.

------------------
    Bob Pekarek
    SPSS, Inc.
    Bob Pekarek
    SPSS, Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Hard product crash recovery

Those are system dialogs which require manual interaction; no way to automate their dismissal that I know of.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have automated the dismissal of crash dialogs on NT and 9x.

Windows NT
    Windows 9x

[This message has been edited by styler (edited 07-17-2000).]
    Steven Tyler
    Manager - Performance Engineering

Kronos Incorporated
    tel: +1 978 947 4219

AJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When the crash happens, do all other applications get suspended?

If so, there's not much you can do... Except demanding the crash be fixed

------------------
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No other applications are disabled, but the dialog does stay on top, even though I can activate other applications.

I am considering the approach of writing a Watchdog that I can trigger from SilkTest and if the script does not respond in time, killing the application under test and reporting (for that testcase) an application crash. I am still checking for how to successfully do that. If anyone has experience writing a guaranteed-to-succeed kill command (I wrote one that doesn't kill it ), please let me know.

Bob
    Bob Pekarek
    SPSS, Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that 'fault trap' should normally solve this problem. You have to enable this option in both of extension dialog and extension enabler application (even if you normally would not need to use an extension for your application) and have the right .exe file name of your application given - so in a similary situation (protection violation or Dr.Watson messages) I've had that problem solved.
    When scripts run, you'll get in the result file the full actual task list, an error description like 'protection violation' and some more informations on memory and so on. The application goes away, and silktest will continue working and next it will identify the missing application and raises normal errors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to all. I used the NTApp..Error code and enabled the extension both in the agent and the host, and now, the crash is successfully dismissed. We have a separate reporting mechanism, and I will be incorporating a way to send the failure type to that report.
    Bob Pekarek
    SPSS, Inc.