SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

\'Hooks\' into code

I'd like to be able to show my developers some examples of how they can put 'hooks' into their code so that I can more easily deal with custom windows.
    Anybody have any examples that I can use?

Thanks, Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: \'Hooks\' into code

What do you mean exactly ? Do you mean an annoying browser dialog box you'd like to dismiss in order to proceed with your testing ?

What do you mean by custom windows and what exactly are you trying to do with them ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an application that uses a Gantt chart. The information is painted onto the screen but the individual items are not 'objects'.
    I can capture the chart itself but can see none of the information contained within.
    My understanding is that the developers can add 'hooks' into the source code so that Silk can access these lists.
    When I talked to one of them, the question arose as to what I was talking about; so I was hoping someone in the group could provide an example/explanation that I could show to the developer.
    Wish I could buy a new brain!
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I wish I could tell you it's possible, but unfortunately you'll have to keep your own brain, at least for a little while :-)

Ok. Is this a web page you're trying to record a test frame for or a windows application ?

If it's a web page is there somewhere I can take a look at it ? What are the "lists" you're referring to ? What would you like to test on that page and how ?

If your page is a window application and is recorded as a CustomWin, that means SilkTest cannot find a class (definition) for it.
    You can map the custom window to a known SilkText class (Record / Window Declarations / Class Map). Look up "Mapping custom classes to standard classes" in the online help file.

You can also map object inside that window to a SilkTest class. Alternatively, you could create a class for them, but that might be a bit of a harder task.

Hope I helped.
    Nir.

AJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's what adding hooks means and how it's done

You need to purchase the EK (Extension Kit)
    if you give the documentation to a developer, they'd understand what you're talking about...

What it means is if you have a C++ application that uses custom objects which return nothing to the agent, you can compile the EK with it and add functions to return to the agent data and set data by using Silk like functions (GetText() SetText())

Again you need to have a C++ application.

------------------
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AJ is right! And if you want to purchase this extension kit from Segue believe me, they will make sure you know what it and what it does before your buy it.

Brian-

AJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reply by Andrew Issaenko <rainguy@usa.net> drom comp.software.testing:

Scott,
    First of all, it depends on the kind of problem you have with custom
    windows. If you can't recognize custom windows, I would reccomend you to use
    class mapping to map such windows to standard classes. In generally, I could
    advise that developers should be very accurate with the tags for custom
    classes. This case it gives you more control on different custom windows.
    My best regards,
    Andrew Issaenko
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SilkTest is intended to be a tool that does not require development to modify their code too much if at all. That's the sweet part about Silk is that it's not dependant on someone modifying their code to be tested.

This does not mean that it can handle everything and anything. But when you stop and think about it, if the application that your testing requires that much work to automate it may be worth writing your own tools for the testing that you need to perform.

I would recommend exhausting all methods described in these replies; class mapping the objects, communicating with a defined DLL, using Windows style-bits in a winclass, or :-( using screen co-ordinates / locations.

I'm not saying that the extension kit is not the way to go but sometimes you should question the cost of using such a tool. So if it is absolutely required and the time can be allocated: I would investigate the functionality. Segue can set you up with that information and maybe even some literature. I would also recommend taking the Testing Custom Objects course if possible. They go over the use and execute some examples of the extension kit.

My knowledge of the extension kit:
    -The extension kit acts as an interface between the Agent and the application.
    -It is for C \ C++ use only.
    -Can accept C arguments.
    -Internal application data is easier to access.
    -Can drive Client / Server processing in parallel.
    -Can test at non-GUI level.
    -Is said to be faster than communicating with DLLs.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
    Brian-