Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow GetText()

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slow GetText()

Anyone have any recommendations/advice on how to improve the speed of a GetText call ? It seems like each one of those takes 1 to 2 seconds, which is an eternity CPU-wise.
    I have a bunch of those calls and they take forever..

Any ideas ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Slow GetText()

Update:

I added 30 more GetText commands to my testcase and the time to execute the testcase TRIPLED. Also while looking at memory usage there was clearly a memory leak somewhere.

Anyone hit this before ? I need a solution because my data will involves a good couple of hundred GetText command.

Nir Gilboa.
    assetplanner.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What OS/Browser are you using? Which version of Silktest?

Also, why are you dependent on GetText() I generaly use VerifyProperties ({...}) and drop a STRING variable into the LIST OF STRING in the testcase from a file read or a Global Variables INC file.

[This message has been edited by woodman (edited 07-13-2000).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Windows NT 4.0 Workstation
    IE 5.01
    SilkTest 5.0.3.1

What do you mean ? I really didn't undertand your method. What I need to do is extract the text from an [HtmlText] object (actually several hundred of them). Could you give a specific example using VerifyProperties ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It doesn't sound like you should have a browser/os problem, however the speed of the machine and the total amount of RAM could be affecting your performance.

As for the code, I re-read what you said, and I am not sure if you need to use GetText or not. The following is an example of using a variable in VerifyProperties which migt work better if you are using GetText to later compare it to an expected value.

[-]bcWelcomeToPortalPublic.bcCoInfo.txtTelephoneNumbe r.VerifyProperties ({...})

[ ] ""
    [-] {...}

[ ] {"SelText", ""}

[ ] {"Text", "{sPhoneNumber}"}

where the STRING variable comes from another file or INC file. This verifies that the phone number equals the expected value and is not selected text.

[This message has been edited by woodman (edited 07-18-2000).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's an interesting idea.
    However, I'm not trying to verify the properties of my browser window. All I want to do is extract the text found in an HtmlTextField, for example.

It's basically a primitive method of extracting testcase data from Excel via an html file. I think I will eventually have to revert to using SQL and ODBC on Excel as it is more reliable.

Thanks again for the effort. Keep reading my posts as I'm sure you'll find more challenges worthy enough for you :-)

Nir.

[This message has been edited by nirg (edited 07-18-2000).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are looking to extract data from a file to use in a testcase, it is easiest to save the data in a comma deleminated text file and write a data driven testcase. There are examples of this in the Silktest Users Guide.

The only thing with this is that you used to have to exicute the script through a main () and could not run it from a testplan file. I don't use testplan files so I don't know if this has changed.

I think if you tell the forum owhat you want to do, you will find many answers.

BTW email me your ph number and time zone at my profiles email address if you want to discuss this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a defect in SilkTest 5.03i related to GetText (), and GetRowText (). I have a Call Tracking Number with Segue. I ran a script on NT Server and it ran fine. Running across the network to a 98 agent ran almost 5 times slower. A client of mine is seeing the same thing since upgrading. 5.03 is somewhat of a mixed blessing !!!!

John

------------------
    John W Green
    jwgreen@automationexpertise.com
    http://www.automationexpertise.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You said it, John. It truly seems like there is a bug in the GetText() function. I let Segue know about this, but as usual they don't seem too interested in getting user feedback. Too bad.

I've also been trying to give them some enhancement/feature requests, which they really totally ignored. Ouch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nirg,

Send your enhancement suggestions to me and I will make sure they reach the SilkTest product manager. She's a friend and former colleague.

John

------------------
    John W Green
    jwgreen@automationexpertise.com
    http://www.automationexpertise.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast