SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IE 5\'s \"File Download\" Dialog box???

When one clicks on a hyper link the IE 5 “File Download” dialog box comes up. I am not having any success in having Silk recognize this IE common dialog box.

Has anyone been successful with this?

Ric
    Ric Alves

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: IE 5\'s \"File Download\" Dialog box???

The reason you are having a hard time with this dialogbox is because Segue has not pre-defined it for you in explorer.inc. ACtually, there's 2 dialogboxes with this same name. One is the one that asks you if you want to open teh file or save it to disk then the other is the one with the download progress bar on it. And these are not the only often-seen browser dialogboxes that are missing either.

I have applied extensive updates to both browser.inc and explorer.inc (in the SilkTest install directory then the 'extend' subdirectory) for precisely this type of reason. And I have provided my updated files to Segue. Not much more I can do there. And I am not at liberty to share them with other users though - lots of our app-specific stuff in there that my company has no intention of beginning to support - sorry.

BUT ... you gotta be very careful and picky if you're going to update these files. be sure to save a backup copy (in your version control tool!) and to THOROUGHLY test any updates you make. Then once the update is deemed complete it has to manually be installed on EVERY machine that runs Silk - a littel overhead there.

The biggest bad news is that when you upgrade to a new version of Silk you will have to reapply all of your personal changes to these files. Again, having the initial version (the one provided by Segue) and your updated version in a version control tool makes this part sooo much easier becasue you can compare the files to see your changes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: IE 5\'s \"File Download\" Dialog box???

Hi pcostigan,

Thanks so much for the insight as it was very helpful.

Would you know if issue occurs in Netscape as well?

I have not begun creating scripts for the Netscape browser but I wonder now if I should???

In the meantime I am going to log a support call to Segue and see if they have had any requests concerning this issue and their response towards a solution.

Thanks so much!

Ric
    Ric Alves