User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Confused. Should I use the DOM or the VO extension

Hi,

I just got SilkTest 5.03 CD. I was happy to see that finally Segue had released support for windows 2000.
    While reading the release notes I got confused on what should be the best approach to record my scripts.

We need to test both IE & NS 4.0 and above browsers where we have dynamic content.
    Saying the above what is the recommended broswer I should be using and what should be the recommended recording option
    (should I use the DOM or the VO extension and are they compatible among themselves)

Thanks in advance

Steve
    Steve Bertun

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Confused. Should I use the DOM or the VO extension

Hi,

If you are going to test on both IE and Netscape the best bet is to use VO. If you are using only IE then you can use DOM.

------------------
    Sree
    Sree

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sree,

Thanks for your quick response.
    But when I continue reading the release notes I get even more confused because it says in the document that the VO have some problem with recognizing tables and with dealing with child windows.

I am looking for way that I can develop my test cases today and have them work for me in subsequent releases (otherwise what is the benefit in these tools)

Again, thanks

Steve
    Steve Bertun

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Understand that using the DOM requires using a browser that understands and correctly interprets the DOM. Right now, this is only Internet Explorer. Thus using the DOM only makes sense in that context. (Supposedly Netscape 6.x will also support the DOM and, in fact, more completely than IE does - well, until IE 6.x anyway.)

Keep in mind, however, that part of this hinges on how Segue interprets what the browser returns as the DOM.

I would guess that going with the DOM is good because it probably ensures (in the long run) that more objects get read from the browser and more correctly since the browsers are moving towards supporting the full W3C-recommded DOM.

But, as mentioned in an earlier post here, if you are using Netscape you would be wise to stick with the VO method.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks,

Does this mean that I need to have 2 separate script?
    If not (taking all into consideration) should I use NS or IE as the recorded environment
    Steve Bertun

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SteveBertun:
    Does this mean that I need to have 2 separate script? If not (taking all into consideration) should I use NS or IE as the recorded environment<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You will need two recorded scripts if you go with the DOM and with the VO method. As to which you should use for the recorded environment, I like to go with the one that supports the standards better and use the other browser as a manual checkpoint.

I think automation is severely misused with browsers because people try to do too much and they get lulled by the siren call of the tool vendors who tout "cross browser testing" as if it were the greatest thing since sliced bread. Personally I go with IE 5.x - the most stable of the browsers and the one that, currently, supports the W3C standards better than any of them.

When testing Netscape then, I would just look at functional points manually that might not work between the browsers. For example, make sure the cookies are handled the same. Make sure that any form elements are handled the same. If using JavaScript, make sure that it works correctly.

Basically I use the IE 5.x automated tests as backstop to then go back and check functional risks in each browser variation. Automation is not my prime source of finding defects anyway - that comes from the manual side. Automation is just used for the regression or for extensive iterated form inputs.