SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Multiple undistinguishable windows

I'm trying to record window declarations for several windows on the site I'm testing. Problem is if I simply record window declarations, Silk starts confusing the windows. My guess is some of the window tags are the same, therefore they interfere.

My next idea was to use multitags to make every window tag unique, but even that fails because I have two windows with exactly similar caption, window ID, etc... How can I distinguish the two with or without using multitags ?

The tags are exactly the same so using multitags doesn't really help.
    Any ideas on how I might do this ? Is there something I'm missing about window tags ?

AJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Multiple undistinguishable windows

There are more than one way to solve this problem

1. Declare all the windows in the same window (not the best organixed way)

2. Find a unique child in each window and manually modify the caption tag to :
    tag "[BrowserChild]Whatever caption/[HtmlText]Unique Text/.."
    or if the unique child is more than 1 layer down:
    tag "[BrowserChild]Whatever caption/[BrowserChild]#2/[HtmlText]Unique Text/../.."

What that tells the agent is look 2 layers down for an object with the caption "Unique Text"

There's only one problem with the last solution... If you record your testcases using the recorder, the agent won't be able to tell you which window you're clicking on etc... (So recording would be hard and you need to do some editing after you record)

(Also do a search on "Caption" in the silktest forum for more threads)

------------------
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the help AJ. It turns out the error message I was getting was actually something else (what are the odds) and so I solved it in a different way. However, thanks for the comments as I will surely run into that problem too.

I am not having luck with specifying tags like this:
    <code>
    tag "[BrowserChild]CampaignAgent - test_40/[BrowserChild]CampaignAgent - Queries Menu/[HtmlTable]Find/.."
    </code>
    It always says:
    *** Error: Window '[BrowserChild]CampaignAgent - test_40' was not found

Are there problems with certain characters in tags? I know that this window exists and it is called that because it is the parent of all my other windows that don't have tags that are specified like this.

------------------
    Kevin Gehrke
    kgehrke@wiredempire.com
    www.wiredempire.com