SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone use SilkTest to test Stingray stuff?

I am try to use SilkTest 5.0.1 to test a product that use Stingray to create
    UIs. SilkTest does not recognize anything in the tree view created with
    Stingray. Anybody out there have experience test Stingray stuff? Or if the
    newer version of SilkTest (5.0.2 or 5.0.3) is capable of doing this?

Thank you for your response

------------------
    jim.young@documentum.com

AJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Anyone use SilkTest to test Stingray stuff?

Yes,

do a search in the silktest forum for StingRay.

The solution is in the Downloads... Do a search for stingray there and you will get the code/article on how to implement it.

BTW the article in the downloads was taken from Segue@Work (written by James Soderborg of Segue) Check out the announcement section to find out how to access Segue@Work.

Here's a direct link to the Segue@work article: http://customers.segue.com/protected...ingray_toc.htm

------------------
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.

[This message has been edited by AJ (edited 07-09-2000).]

[This message has been edited by AJ (edited 07-09-2000).]
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've also had to test an application with many Stingray objects in it. We got the extension kit, and a day's time of a Segue consultant to get us going. Then, I spent some time writing the C++ functions to access the Stingray objects. It took a little work, but at the end we were able to use the objects pretty well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BostonSilk:
    can you please share how you were able to create the C++ functions to recognize the stingray controls? sample code will be nice. we have a similar problem with our applications. a number of our controls are not recognized by silktest. your help is much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure. I don't work for that company anymore, so I don't have access to the sample code. But I can give a brief description of thoughts and process we went through if that helps.

First, Stingray actually does a decent job of documenting the classes and their methods, so I would recommend using their online reference library during the process.

The basic process we went through, which is also documented in the Extension Kit User Guide.

1) In the applications main .c file, added the 'hooks' for SilkTest to talk to the application.

2) Determine what Stingray objects in the application we want to work with, and what we want to do with them. For example, our application used Stingray menus, so we wanted to be able to select a menu item.

3) From the application's source code, and with a developer's support, determine the exact Stingray class of the objects we are interested in. From there, we found out what Stingray methods were available for the given class.

4) In the application's main .c file, created the functions to get information about a particular object that would allow us to use it. For example, if we wanted to select a menu item, then in the .c file, we created a function that gave us the number of menus, and we were able to pass a menu index back to Silk, allowing us to select by index.
    ** These C functions are actually pretty short. Four or Five liners in most cases.

5) We then created new winclasses in Silk, containing the 'extern myFunction' syntax for the C functions, and use those in other Silk functions for actually using the object. As in the Menu Item example, we then overwrote the Pick() method for that particular winclass, using the extern functions, allowing us to actually pick a menu item.

** I hope that helped in describing some of the thoughts and processes we went through.

I would strongly recomend reading the Extension Kit Users Guide, as well as James Soderborg's article mentioned by AJ, as well as getting support from development, and possibly a person with Extension Kit experience to help get things going. On a side note, my company was lucky enough to have James Soderborg give us a day of consulting to get it going, and it was extremely valuable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BostonSilk:
    I appreciate the information you provided. This really helps. I will try to get hold of the articles you suggested.