SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Extremely slow performance of 5.0.3 on Win2K

I am trying to evaluate SilkTest 5.0.3 on Win2000. 5.0.3 is supposed to be the Win2K-ready version, but what I have found is that recording a browser-based script can be *extremely* slow. At first it would take 2 minutes to click-through a link. I found that uninstalling Real Player (?!?) helped quite a bit, but I'm still getting periods of time when silkTest hogs my entire system for 90 seconds. Specifically, I've been going through the first test of the tutorial - the Green Mountain pages.

Another frustrating thing is that sometimes I'll get the Agent Not Responding error in a text window in a layer above the "4Test Script" window. When I try to paste my newly created test, it gets pasted in this error window, and I can't then cut and paste it to the 4Test Script window. I therefore lose my test.

Has anyone else tried 5.0.3 on Win2K? Is it working for you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Extremely slow performance of 5.0.3 on Win2K

I am currently using the same setup, with the same problem. I did seem to notice that after Updating Win 2000 with all of the Windows Updates it seemed to help, BTW I also upgraded the browser to 128 bit encryption and have disabled everything that was not needed for my testing.

Troy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Segue has just put out a patch (5.03.1) that seems to go a long way in fixing the performance problems of silkTest on Win2K. It is no longer taking 90 seconds to click through a link.

However, I am seeing that it is crashing often. I am going through the Segue tutorials, testing a web site with IE 5.0 (DOM). Oftimes I get a pop-up exception message and am forced to close IE.

Has anyone else seen this?

Yes, I am seeing this also. I thought it might be a problem with my PC, but now I am starting to think otherwise. I can run the same test again, and it won't crash on me.

------------------
    Kevin Gehrke
    kgehrke@wiredempire.com
    www.wiredempire.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The SilkTest 5.0.3 release also includes a registry tweak to improve performance on Windows 98 and 2000. Take a look on your CD or in the Segue downloads area for SilkTest 5.0.3. There's a directory called Win98_2000. In there you'll find the following readme:

On Win98 and Win2000, you can improve performance when you are verifying properties.

To improve performance, you need to set or edit a registry value by double clicking on
    the fglockto.reg file and follow the directions. The fglockto.reg file is located on the SilkTest installation CD in \SilkTest\W98_2000. Please be sure to reboot after you run this file.

The file contains one registry change:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
    "ForegroundLockTimeout"=dword:000003E8

I'm running 5.0.3 on Windows 2000 Professional and it seems to be working OK. I'm testing with MS IE using the new DOM agent. Are you using DOM or the old VO agent?

Hope this helps.

Jeff

[This message has been edited by jpetersen (edited 07-05-2000).]