User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looking for trials

Hi,

I'm looking for trials of any Testing tool available. can you perhaps direct me to a phone number or e-mail address where i could get one, i've tried going to the companies but haven't heard anything.

Thanks
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: looking for trials

As I mentioned in the QARun section you can usually download some products from some companies (RSW Software, Mercury's Astra line, RadView, etc.)

For others (CompuWare, Segue, Rational, etc.) you have to contact them directly as a general rule. I do not recommend doing this by e-mail. Most of the company Web sites have a sales phone number you can call and I would do that and tell them what you are looking for. If they do not have a sales phone number they usually have some phone number which can transfer you to a sales rep.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the info,

Do you know where i can see reviews or comparisons between the various available tools?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chris_tech:
    Do you know where i can see reviews or comparisons between the various available tools?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are companies that give relatively unbiased reviews/comparisons of the feature-sets of the tools such as Ovum, for example. Most of the reviews from other locations tend to be biased or tend to be filled with so little content so as to be meaningless (at least in my opinion). Or, worse, tend to be based off of the company brochureware and not on actual use of the product.

Each tool has to be compared to the environment that it is going to be run in (i.e., yours) and chances are that your environment is going to be pretty unique in at least some ways.

I have found and seen better results when someone posts to a forum like this one with their actual environment and then hears from different people who have actually used the tool. You will probably still have bias but it might give you something to go on.

Personally, I rarely care about reviews/comparisons or even opinions as much as I do trying the tool in my own environment and applying it to my own testing methodology. (But then that is just me.)

[This message has been edited by JeffNyman (edited 06-21-2000).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks again,

I agree for the most part about trying it out for myself, but i do like to see what is out there side by side to possibly eliminate some choices early in order to make efficient use of my trial time. I thank you again for all your help.

Chris