Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Problems with Borland

Has anyone besides me had trouble dealing with Borland? I'm having trouble getting all of my licenses that I've purchased (and paid maintenance on) upgraded.

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Problems with Borland

They seemed sluggish to get on the ball after merging with Segue, but now business is pretty much back to usual. They kept the same support people, and I'm pretty happy with them.

************ Question ******************
    Anybody know how Borland/Silktest is doing out in the world? I love my beloved Silktest, but I'm worried that it might fade because of the better marketing of Mercury & others.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Not sure about the situation globally, but here in the UK,
    looking at job vacancies for the last 6 months:

Note 'Silktest (-)' means that Silktest did not make the list.
    <font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre> Jobs citing 'Regression Testing' - top 20 apps required were:
    Permanent Contract
    1st TestDirector TestDirector
    2nd WinRunner WinRunner
    3rd QuickTest Pro QuickTest Pro
    4th Rational Robot LoadRunner
    5th LoadRunner LSMW
    SilkTest (7th) SilkTest (-)

Jobs citing 'Software Testing' - top 20 apps required were:
    Permanent Contract
    2nd WinRunner LoadRunner
    3rd QuickTest Pro WinRunner
    4th LoadRunner QuickTest Pro
    5th Rational Robot Synon
    SilkTest (=8th) SilkTest (10th)

Jobs citing 'Automated Testing' - top 20 apps required were:
    Permanent Contract
    2nd WinRunner WinRunner
    4th LoadRunner LoadRunner
    5th Rational Robot JUnit
    SilkTest (=8th) SilkTest (=12th)
    Note: SilkPerformer (10th) SilkPerformer (=13th)

Jobs citing 'ISTQB' - top 12 apps required were:
    Permanent Contract
    2nd WinRunner LoadRunner
    4th LoadRunner WinRunner
    5th QALoad Visual Studio
    SilkTest (-) SilkTest (-)

Jobs citing 'ISEB' - top 20 apps required were:
    Permanent Contract
    2nd WinRunner LoadRunner
    3rd LoadRunner WinRunner
    4th QuickTest Pro QuickTest Pro
    5th ClearQuest ChangeMan
    SilkTest (=11th) SilkTest (-)

Jobs citing 'ISEB Practitioner' - top 17 apps required were:
    Permanent Contract
    2nd WinRunner LoadRunner
    3rd LoadRunner QALoad
    4th QuickTest Pro WinRunner
    5th Rational Robot QuickTest Pro
    SilkTest (=11th) SilkTest (-)
    </pre><hr />

Seems here in the UK, Mercury is the only game in town if you want a job in automated software testing.

Rankings above taken from http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/

Regards
    Peat

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hang in there with Borland! The technology is still the Segue technology you know and love and Borland is improving all the time...

I hope everyone is doing well!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hey Heidi,

Glad to see you here.

I hear, through the grape vine of my contacts, that there is going to be a really exciting addition coming later this year. I think it will change how we automate software testing.

But I can't mention what it is yet. You will have wait for an annoucement from Borland later this year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

To be honest, I don't think it could be anywhere close to a "revolution" based on what I have known. If there is a new thing coming out at the end of this year. What can you expect after laid off the SilkTest team and developing something from scratch in one year? If this can be something, then anyone can develop something in this market.....

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey Heidi,

Glad to see you here.

I hear, through the grape vine of my contacts, that there is going to be a really exciting addition coming later this year. I think it will change how we automate software testing.

But I can't mention what it is yet. You will have wait for an annoucement from Borland later this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

It sounds pretty amazing and it is almost ready and the old Segue crew did the work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

old segue crew? then I know what it is. A tool that cannot understand 4test? All existing 4test scripts developed for years are junk now. I don't think any one here will be excited about this.

[ QUOTE ]
    It sounds pretty amazing and it is almost ready and the old Segue crew did the work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    old segue crew? then I know what it is. A tool that cannot understand 4test? All existing 4test scripts developed for years are junk now. I don't think any one here will be excited about this.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am interested.

I generally think outside the box and use 4Test as a programming language used to test applications as opposed to using Silktest as a testing tool. So the new tool sounds more like something I would be interested in.

I don't think silktest will be going away for many years to come.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi All,

This is my first post of, I hope, many. I own direction and strategy for the Silk products at Borland. Without providing futures, here are my (biased) opinions/comments on this thread.

* I believe Borland is more dedicated to meeting QA tool users' (your) needs than any other "big" vendor in the QA automation market.

* SilkTest is not going away. It is powerful, adaptable and proven. We will continue to "reward" loyal customers by protecting their investment with expanded functionality. We've released two major (SilkTest 8, SilkTest 2006) and at least 3 minor versions of SilkTest since the acquisition of Segue. Rest assured that another major release is forthcoming (no dates can be shared publicly at this time).

* 4Test is not going away. It is easy to learn, useful and provides extremely robust, easily maintainable test scripts. Other test tool vendors have introduced "new" products (and charged for them) at the cost of alienating users of their "old" products. I believe this is a terrible way to treat loyal users.

* Customers want scripting in common languages --- we hear that loud and clear.

* SilkTest is arguably the most technically powerful functional automation tool in the market (I knew this prior to my joining Borland - but, of course, I'm biased)

* Borland has consolidated development to 4 main dev labs - 1 dedicated soley to Silk products - to reduce costs and maximize efficiency (using our own ALM principles). Segue had segregated development teams that did not facilitate good integration, innovation or agile development. We now have a large, dedicated and experienced team on SilkTest co-located with all the other Silk development, and we have a full and exciting roadmap!

* Borland technical support is a marked improvement over Segue support of the past (from reputation and customer feedback, not personal knowledge).

I hope this is helpful.

Brad Johnson - Borland Product Marketing
    ** I work for SOASTA, the CloudTest Company **

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast