SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting methods for custom classes

Is there a method in silk which will give me all the methods defined for a class. I tried using library browser, but I want to create documentation for my scripts and it would be easier if I can do it programatically. We have lot of user defined classes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Getting methods for custom classes

Check out chapter 18 "Modifying the Library Browser" in the User's Guide.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Getting methods for custom classes

I have documented our home-grown stuff in Library Browser using the instructions referred to in the previous reply. It really is quite simple to do. I approached this as a nightmare kind of task but once the initial work was done it was well worth it. It has turned out to be tremendously useful - for me (the most experienced user) as well as newer scripters. And maintenance is not that big of a deal (remembering to do it is the hardest part!).

I ended up having our own modified version of 4Test.txt plus another file that I named LibraryBrowser.txt. Stuff that you use "winclass" to define or extend has to be in Segue's 4Test.txt file. Put everything else in a separate file (or multiple files).
    This will make reapplying your changes to a new version of Silk much easier! Then add the additonal file(s) to the Help path on the Options > General dialogbox in Silk so Library Browser knows to use them.

Note that if you have some content that doesn't "work" in a Library Browser file (i.e., methods that you define for and within individual window declarations - although I did come up with a work-around for this) then just follow the LB format and stick the content in a separate text file that you do NOT put in the Help path in Silk but can use to create your external documentation. This will keep ALL of the document content in a consistent (my favorite word!) source format and make it all much easier to maintain.

So once everything is in Library Browser (LB)format, if you really want an external "document" then you have lots of options because those LB-format files are standard ASCII text files and the internal format does follow a pattern. Note that a few of my newer users have just printed the text files, highlighted (some with several colors that mean different things to them) each method, function, or whatever buzz-word would help them visually find things easier, and are quite happy with that. But if you really must create a full-blown actual document ...

You could take a programmatic approach of reading the text file(s) line by line, parsing the line, reformatting it, etc. But my guess is that it would be LOADS easier to just open the text file in Word (or whatever you have) then apply a slick but simple macro to reformat it (one you would have to create for your purpose).

Tip: If you're not a Word or macro expert then talk to your Documentation folks about providing inputs and/or help. At every company where I've worked, Docs folks are truly experts when it comes to this stuff and they absolutely LOVE the opportunity to do something different.