Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Silk Test Issues

I am helping build a checklist of my company's requirments for an evaluation of silktest. Does anyone know of some limitations of silktest or bugs in silktest?
    Dont force me to hit you with the motivational stick again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Silk Test Issues

You might want to post a rough draft of what your company is thinking of using it for so people can tell you if they see something specific that will be a pain. Generally speaking, I find it to be a great tool, but it does take a significant time/money investment to get a useful automation solution working. By useful I mean that it finds product bugs instead of creating extra work!
    Chris R Mead

The opinions expressed herein are my own personal opinions and do not represent my employer's view in any way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Gah!
    I didnt mean problems with my useage of it, i mean like actual bugs in Silktest, and things it cannot do in general, so i can maybe sneak them into this checklist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

This is a very vague question. Give an example of what you are looking for.

Pretty much what silk will and wont do is listed on their website.

It wont wistle dixie.
    Ryan McCullough
    RightNow Tech. Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I started this thread to harvest the following information:

1) What bugs/defects/issues exist in silktest.

2) What is silktest itself incapable of doing no matter how intelligent or experienced the user is.

3) What can the user of silktest do that will cause silktest to crash?

4) What kinds of interface objects/controls does silktest have trouble identifying?

I cant think of any better way to express my questions, i aplogise if they seem vague or too general

[ 09-20-2005, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: LORD Milez ]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi Miles,

You're still asking the wrong questions.

</font>
    1. <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">What are your companies needs, wants and nice-to-have's regarding automated testing?</font>
    2. <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">What app architectures does your company use: Win32, .Net, Java, or HTML?</font>
    3. <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">How much testing tool experience do your testers have already?</font>
    4. <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">What types of testing do you intend automating: functional, load/volume/performance, regression, etc.</font>
    5. <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">What machine architectures do you intend testing on: standalone, multi-tier, local or remote, Windows, Solaris, Linux - PC's or mobile devices?</font>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"> If you can post answers to the above, then we'll be much better placed to advise you.

Regards
    Peat

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Peat has pretty much hit the nail on the head with his list. Its what you need that counts and not what the tool can do.

However, I can give a couple of general answers!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

1. I think Silk does not support ocr text recognition the way Winrunner does. (It wont tag an image with appropriate text(in the image), which I have seen WR do sometimes. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] )

2. The "Bug" in silk is its lenghtier learning curve.. as pointed out the Chris. So Answer to Peats #3, along with expertise of the Automation Engineers on OOPS concepts would be the bottleneck.

3. When recording Web pages, it can record multiple children with the same Window Identifier, especially when there are a lot of objects. So you may have something like:

Window BrowserChild MyPage
    HTMLText UserName
    tag ""
    HTMLTextField UserName
    tag ""
    Of course this is easily worked around by changing the window id's manually to unique ones.
    // =====================
    // The Persistent Bugger
    // =====================

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

1.What are your companies needs, wants and nice-to-have's regarding automated testing?
    - Wants:
    - Seemless testing that can run through the night
    - Easy Maintenance of testing code

- Needs:
    - Objects recognized by Index / Tag rather than by mouse coordinates.

2.What app architectures does your company use: Win32, .Net, Java, or HTML?
    - Win32 & MFC

3.How much testing tool experience do your testers have already?
    - This is our companies first move toward automation. Most employees that come through this department have little or no testing tool experience.

4.What types of testing do you intend automating: functional, load/volume/performance, regression, etc.
    - The testing will be mainly (95%) used for functional testing. There is forseen need for load/volume/performance testing.

5. What machine architectures do you intend testing on: standalone, multi-tier, local or remote, Windows, Solaris, Linux - PC's or mobile devices?
    - Architectures: Standalone PC / Remote PC

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I'm testing one application which uses Win32, MFC and some of the .Net components.

Okay, here are my questions:

1) Why Silktest is not able to recognise some of the objects (mostly in the list bar and in the tree)?
    2) While running the testcases, sometimes it passes and sometime it fails. Dont know the reason why it get failed when earlier it passes the same test script?
    3) This is in addition to #2 ... when it failed, and then i restart my application (not silktest but the application which i'm testing), then it passes that test script again.

Any help in this matter will be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi Miles,

2. Silktest will dliver on most of these quite happily. IME (others please feel free to disagree) ST is rather more flaky on Java and HTML than we'd all like and it's still early days with .NET, (support for 3rd party controls is poor) but on all of these, Segue is continually delivering improvements. Win32 and MFC are perhaps ST's strongest areas; IME it's rock solid unless your apps are doing low-level jiggery-buggery with the pluggery. And even then there's usually another way of doing things that worksaround the problem.

3. This will be a biggy. Whatever way you cut it, there is a steep learning curve once you're past the initial record and playback stage. But the climb *is* worth it. Ensure management commits to spending on training courses for your testers.

4. Silktest is designed to address functional testing needs. But...it would not be my tool of choice for non-functional testing, you really need some other tool - SilkPerformer maybe...much depends on what you will doing.

5. Silktest is fine running locally or remotely, but running scripts remotely can be fiddley at times to get going.

Regards
    Peat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast