User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indirection or Table Driven Methodology

Hi,

I am looking for some sample Silk scripts designed using this the table driven or "Indirection" methodolgy.

Is there any good URLs out there that I can take a look at that address this methodology ???

Chris

------------------

JQ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Indirection or Table Driven Methodology

Hello. I'm not sure what you mean by "indirection" or "table driven" however these descriptions seem to fit what I have been working on using Silk. The scripts I have developed read data from a database table and stuff it into the application under test via the applications GUI. So I obtain coverage of the different types of records (Client records for instance) simply be defining the source data accordingly. The "scripts" have no idea what values to input. They do however know where to put the data and have commands to operate the GUI (like switching tabs).

Is this what you are looking for?

That would help me out. I have a database that has many tables and all the interaction is through a web gui. I think I have seen this done with an Excel table on Segue's web site.

------------------
    Kevin Gehrke
    kgehrke@wiredempire.com
    www.wiredempire.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is a basic function for returning a value from a database table. The function can be modifed to suite your needs. I was using it to get specific rows out of a DB. Often, I will put the ID as an Optional value, then have the function query the given table for the number of rows, pick a random integer from 1 to MaxRows, and use that as the ID to get a random data row. However, I didn't include that in this example:

Hope this is enough to get you going

------------------
    David Genrich
    Icarian
    555 North Mathilda Ave
    Sunnyvale, CA 94086
    davidg@icarian.com

JQ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Kevin. It would appear that David has beaten me to the punch and provided a solid exapmple of DB access. I recommend you design generic functions like the one David provided to allow for maximum flexability in your scripts. If you find yourself writing the same code over and over in your scripts to access data consider writing a function and calling it. IMHO, this is key to a solid test automation infrastructure.

This is what I use to return multiple rows of data from a table. Then I can use the return value in a for ... each construct to process each row.

[This message has been edited by JQ (edited 06-13-2000).]

[This message has been edited by JQ (edited 06-13-2000).]