Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DOM Extension

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DOM Extension

I've noticed that using the DOM extension has fixed a LOT of the object recognition issues and the flakiness that occurs when objects need to be scrolled into view in order to interact with them. It ended all my "invalid handle" errors, fixes a LOT of problems with consistent table recognition, and I have yet to get a "does not exist" error for something I can plainly see on the screen!

Because of this, I wholeheartedly want to dive into rearchitecting a lot of our existing stuff to use IE5 DOM exclusively.

I've run across one major issue while doing this...there are certain frames (jhtml) that are being recognized as their own BrowserChild...but none of the objects inside them "exist" as far as Silk is concerned and will not record. I'm going to try to work through this, because the benefits of this extension are just too great to give up on it.

Has anyone else done much work with the DOM Extension...did it solve your problems...did you find any new problems...are there easy workarounds...

Can anyone think of something I can try with the mapping or something that will make my lost objects show up?

AJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: DOM Extension

Hi Nancy,

WHen turning the DOM on, I would recommend you rerecord everything, Which is what you've been up to.

I know it will recognize some objects differently, but that's what I've had to suffer, but you will harvest the fruits soon after.

------------------
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am running into similar problem. I can not recognize and nest controls in the browser with D.O.M.

Is there a trick to picking up the child object ???

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What is this DOM Extension and how do you set it up? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AJ:
    When turning the DOM on, I would recommend you rerecord everything, Which is what you've been up to.

I know it will recognize some objects differently, but that's what I've had to suffer, but you will harvest the fruits soon after.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I actually don't have any issue with it recognizing things differently...in fact I'm GLAD it recognizes things differently because some of these tags that 5.0.2 came up with made absolutely no sense to me. 5.0.3 does a much better job of tagging just about everything.

What I'm having a serious issue with is that it's just not seeing entire sections of a page.

For an example, just pull up record identifiers on the first page of this site (qaforums)...and see if you can get 5.0.3 to recognize any object other than those in the header, footer and left nav. The whole center is missing!

Well, I got it to recognize a lot now that I set the setting ShowBorderlessTables=1 in the domex.ini. The problem now is that all the forms in my web application are designed using borderless tables. I will probably have to create methods to set the text in each field that is in the borderless table. Another problem I am having is that I am getting two frames combined into one. This is not going to be easy to deal with since one frame always has the same contents (a menu bar) and the other frame switches depending on what is selected in the menu bar. Someone had mentioned designing the app with testing in mind...one suggestion I have is to not use borderless tables.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now that's interesting...ShowBorderlessTables makes no difference at all for me when recording the QAForums frames.

I even wrote a loop with BrowserPage.GenerateDecl() that tried every possible setting from .01 to 1.00 and no matter what the setting, it NEVER sees the objects in the center frame.

Is there some other setting that I've got goofed up that could be affecting ShowBorderlessTables?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nancy,
    I had a similar problem with the project I've been working on. In my case, the developers were setting the window name (window.name = "SomeName") in an include file within one of the content frames. Silk did not seem to recognize any objects within that particular frame. However, once the code was removed, Silk could recognize all objects.

My mistake. I think I forgot to change the settings in the extension in the wrong sequence. Sorry for the confusion. I have had problems with borderless tables and have reported it to Segue Support. In the application I am testing, SilkTest caused IE 5.01 to crash on NT when I went to record the screen. They said they are going to post a hotfix around the end of this month.

------------------
    Kevin Gehrke
    kgehrke@wiredempire.com
    www.wiredempire.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If anyone was wondering, 5.0.3.1 does not solve this problem, even though the release notes seem to indicate that they've done some significant work in this area.

Has anyone successfully recorded the center of any qaforums page with the DOM Extension?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast