SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Multiple Versions of same browser

From an OS and browser standpoint, it is possible to put 2 versions of the same browser on a system. For instance, you could, if desired, put IE 4 and IE 5 on a system and run either of them. However, only one can be default (since default can have only one).

Now, what I would like to do is have both IE 4 and IE 5 on my system, then run SilkTest with each of the browsers. This can be done if it is something like IE and Netscape. However, with 2 versions of IE, it will take whichever one is default, regardless of which one you invoked.

So, the question is: How can I have my cake and eat it too... Sorry. How can I have both versions of the browsers (and in theory, multiple Netscape versions too), and have SilkTest call the right version, rather than the default version?

------------------
    David Genrich
    Icarian
    555 North Mathilda Ave
    Sunnyvale, CA 94086
    davidg@icarian.com

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Multiple Versions of same browser

You can only have one version if IE installed in the currently booted partition on a PC at any given time [at least as far as Microsoft is concerned].

While it is possible to install multiple versions of Netscape on the same bootted partition this can't be done with IE.

While there are other solutions [like multiple bootable partitions on a single PC] I would suggest a kb/mouse/monitor switchbox [such as one of the OmniBlah boxes sold by Belkin] connected to multiple PCs all on the same network [given the relatively low cost of PCs these days]. This will optimize you time as well [i.e. when you execute long regression runs on one PC you can be doing work on the other PC--with the flip of a switch!].

-fyi, Terry Horwath

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I don't have it setup that way currently, I did at one point have bout IE 4 and IE 5 installed on the same system. One was on Drive C, other on Drive D. IE 5 was the default browser, but I could go and start up IE 4 and use that too. I never tried using both at the same time (having both open).

------------------
    David Genrich
    Icarian
    555 North Mathilda Ave
    Sunnyvale, CA 94086
    davidg@icarian.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I don't have it setup that way currently, I did at one point have bout IE 4 and IE 5 installed on the same system. One was on Drive C, other on Drive D. IE 5 was the default browser, but I could go and start up IE 4 and use that too. I never tried using both at the same time (having both open).

------------------
    David Genrich
    Icarian
    555 North Mathilda Ave
    Sunnyvale, CA 94086
    davidg@icarian.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

David,

I've always had major problems with two different version of IE. The registry contains lots of information relative to the current browser, so I suspect you were actually working with some strange hybrid of the two products.

John

------------------
    John W Green
    jwgreen@automationexpertise.com
    http://www.automationexpertise.com

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And there are tons of DLLs which are upleveled when upleveling to a newer version of IE--meaning [at least to me] that you would be lucky if the older browser worked with the new DLLs [but they are generally downward compatible].

I would say this would be unstable at best, but that is my 2 cents worth. I still think multiple PCs is the most cost effective solution in the long run to address this problem [with added productivity benefits duirng long regression runs].

-fyi, Terry Horwath