SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can a series of test plans be run automatically?

Is it possible -- and if so, how -- to string a series of test plans together so they can all be run sequentially unattended? Like a suite will run lots of .t files unattended?

And can you mix .pln and .t files in such a list?

We would like to write many -- but not all --of our test series as test plans. Several people write tests, and each has a favorite method -- some as test plans, others as data-driven .t files. But we need to run everything together one after the other overnight. Is this possible?

We don't really want to maintain just one large test plan because too many people would be involved in its maintenance, and we would hate to force all the test plan lovers to convert to regular scripts. If we can't run a series of test plans with no intervention, however, we will have to make everyone conform to .t files in suites.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Can a series of test plans be run automatically?

My 2 cents...

I tried to do this using a batch file, but I was unsuccessful.

There's got to be a way, I'm not sure it's worth it though. I would suggest that everyone in a group SHOULD be following the same organizational guidelines in terms of using .pln files or .s files or whatever. Maintenance for a .pln file should not be much of an obstacle. It's really just a big list of testcases, right?

Anyway, you may find it interesting to know that you can execute silktest and any .t, .s, or .pln file from a command line or from the Run and RunOnce keys in the registry. It is possible to devise a scheme where you create a string value in the RunOnce key (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\RunOnce) that indicates the next script to run, i.e. "C:\Segue\SilkTest\Parnter.exe -r c:\Auutomation\MyTest.t. Using this idea, you can create a list of scripts to run and at the end of each script set the RunOnce key for the next script in the list and then reboot.

Hopefully someone will have a much more simple solution than mine. But really, just make them all conform. conformity is good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

In order to run a series of testplans, you need to create a master plan. This is just a testplan file. Using the 'include' statement, you can add your subplans. Everyone who is working on the project can work on their own subplan and these can be added to the masterplan. All the testcases can then be run from this masterplan. (See Chapter 12 in the Users Guide).

The 'masterplan.pln' file should look something like,

include: firsttestplan.pln

include: secondtestplan.pln

include: thirdtestplan.pln

This is a very efficient approach to breaking a large testplan into smaller testplans.

As for running .pln with .t files, I've never tried it, but I'd imagine that it would be quite messy. You would probably have to create one testcase and make reference to this testcase in your testplan. This testcase would then call the other testcases in the .t file, however these would have to be written as functions because a testcase cannot call another testcase. Writing your testcases as functions also has implications for the recovery system.

I hope that this helps. Regards,

John.

------------------
    John O'Neill.
    Quality Automation Ltd.
    www.quality-automation.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you all. Segue finally answered (took three days, but they responded immediately when I called this morning to see what had happened to my ticket). John's reply is included in their answer. Following are the messages they sent me.

Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2000 12:20 PM
    To: morth@netegrity.com
    Subject: [17656] Stringing Testplans together

Hello Myra,

To run a series of testplans one after another, you can create a "master
    plan" which references each of the individual test plans you want to
    run. For example, if you currently have plan1.pln, plan2.pln, and
    plan3.pln and would like to run them all, you can create a new testplan
    and include references to the existing plans. For example

This is my master testplan
    Testplan #1
    include: plan1.pln

Testplan #2
    include: plan2.pln

Testplan #3
    include: plan3.pln

Please let me know if you have additional questions regarding this
    technique.

-Kathy

--And when I asked about .t files also::

Here's my summary:

From a Suite file (.s), you can run Scripts (.t) and other Suites (.s)
    From a Plan file (.pln), you can run other Plans
    From a Plan file (.pln), you can also run Scripts (.t), if you reference them as follows:
    This is a description
    testcase: main
    Note: this is not the best way to reference the script, as it shows in the .RES file as only 1 test (regardless of how many times the testcase was executed).
    A better way would be to run the script file, then from the .RES of the script file select Results/Convert to Plan. This will create a .PLN file that you can then include in a master plan.
    I hope this helps to clarify things. Please let me know if you have questions.
    -Kathy

--
    Kathleen M. Healy
    Technical Support Group Leader
    Segue Software, 201 Spring Street, Lexington, MA 02421
    mailto:khealy@segue.com http://www.segue.com

-

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Myra,

One more comment. There are many advantages to developing .pln files for each module, then including them in a master plan as Kathy has described. You can easily select any subset of tests from the master plan (e.g. All Functional Tests, All Tests for Version n.xx, All Tests authored by Dave, etc, all tests for a specific susbset of modules). Also, you can easily track progress using Organizer's attributes.

John

------------------
    John W Green
    jwgreen@automationexpertise.com
    http://www.automationexpertise.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was attempting to create a master test plan and ran into the problem of how to deal with the usefile paths and such. I was just wondering do you need to include all of your include files in the master test plan or will it "inherit" them from the individual test plans and if so how do you do this as the include statement alone did not seem to be doing the trick. Thanks.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gomer

I never include the include files in my plan. I will reference the testcase from a .t file which will reference to its corresponding Include file. But i include my option set in my plan file using the word optionset:.
    While using the silk statements in the plan bbe careful of the syntax. It would not give a syntax error. anything apart from red font in the plan file is taken as a comment.

------------------