User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

.pln files or .s files. Which to use?

Hi All,

We use Silktest to test our Client server applications. Evethough I've been working with Silk since six months , I was never involved in plan phase.
    Now I've been asked to put a document together stating pros and cons of using .pln files and .s files.
    I know segue .pln is newer compared to .s files and that segue suggests to use .pln, but I need to find out if there are issues which are handled better in one than the other.

Any help from the experts?

Manisha Patel
    Princeton Softech Inc.

AJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: .pln files or .s files. Which to use?

My advice is use Plans instead of Suites. Suites used to be an alternative to plans when Segue used to charge extra for the Organizer license.

------------------
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.

Be aware that global variables are not preserved between testcases when you use test plans because the Agent gets reinitialized at the end of each test case. You will need to store your globals in a file or in the registry and restore them at the beginning of each testcase.

Also, if you are using test plans and you are doing distributed testing across multiple remote target machines, you will need to reconnect to each machine at the beginning of every testcase.

These are not issues when using test suites.

------------------

Tony Mrozinski
    Sr. Software Test Automation Engineer
    Home Networking Operations
    Intel Corporation

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks AJ and Tony.

Manisha Patel
    Princeton Softech Inc.