SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having trouble with changing tags on motif

While porting our 4Test automation code to motif, I'm experiencing cases where my window tag definitions are unexpectedly changing. For example using the window recorder over my window of inhterest, I sometimes get:

MainWin("HelloWorld").CustomWin("[COMPOSITE]#1]").CustomWin("[COMPOSITE]#1").TextField("#1")

and sometimes I get:

MainWin("HelloWorld").CustomWin("[COMPOSITE]#1]").CustomWin("[COMPOSITE]#2").TextField("#1")

Notice the changing index in the second CustomWin. This change is not predictable and I need a reliable way to either prevent the changing tag, or a reliable property that can get the correct window. I've created property methods that will try incremental combinations of tag indices in a do-except block until it finds a good window, but this is very ugly. There must be better way.

AJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Having trouble with changing tags on motif

There sorta is, but....

Here's what you can do...

Create a Window class for this cutom class.
    Create a method for that class which returns the correct index. (tries each until it finds it or whatever then passes it back)
    In the tag of the declaration, call that method (GetTag ())
    Now please don't ask me to be more specific, it's a hard one to implement, but I can tell you that I have it working here. The only cafeat is that it takes a long time to perform anythig on that object (due to finding it 1st).

------------------
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Having trouble with changing tags on motif

AJ,
    I have tried your suggested approach. Yes it will work, and Yes it is noticeably slow whenever the window in question is referenced.

I was hoping there was some simple undocumented way of handling this situation like using a wild card concatenated with a unique child's id or something obscure like that.

Thanks for you fast input.

John