SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How can I use the Start Menu...?

I'm feeling like a newbie here, but have exhausted 2 cups of coffee and too much time, so here I am again....

Using QAP 4.x or Silk 4.x I cannot seem to utilize the Start Menu in Win95/98/NT4 the way I think I should be able to.

I would like to do something like this...

Taskbar.Start.PopupMenu.Settings.Pick()

At this time I'm using TypeKeys but the hotkeys and <"UP">'s are not standard enough to utilize across the many platforms and PCs I am testing on. There has to be an easier way.

Chris Graham

Re: How can I use the Start Menu...?

Is there a reason why you aren't declaring the application in your test frame and then using the syntax of MyMainWin.Start(sCmdLine)?

Cynthia

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your reply. The applications that I test have excellent frames created, and they work beatufully.

For example I launch the Control Panel via
    This works very well across all of my platforms 95/98/NT. In my spare time I'm trying to figure out why it is I can't access the various Start menu items such as RUN, FIND, Control Panel, etc. via a simple menu selection. I see code for Taskbar and Start in WINCLASS.INC but so far have only met with varied success accessing the menu items via WindowID but not using caption/name.

Nothing critical, but an interesting project. I'm curious if anyone has a solution.

AJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's what I learned after fooling around with the Start menu.

1. If you choose to select an item by it's index, you need to calculate it,

meaning, incase of NT, you have to go into the profile dir of the user which is logged in, get the number of entries (this gives you the number of icons that user has added to hist Start menu (subtract one: the Programs icon) and you have the number of additional programs. When you want to select the 1st item (which is programs) you need to add to it the number of additional user added icons to get the index.

Now if you are still reading and have not given up yet, here's an easier way

Use the keyboard shortcuts!!!
    example: the following code will reboot an NT station...

enjoy!!!

------------------
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.

Using TypeKeys and "UP" or "DOWN" is risky, especially if your tests are to be deployed across multiple target PCs. The Start Menu can look different from one machine to another depending on applications installed or user customization.

To get your TypeKeys approach to work under Win95/98, you'll need to "parse" through the Window/Start Menu directory to see what else has been added to the menu besides the Programs Menu. Then you'll need to walk through the Window/Start Menu/Programs directory to determine the relative location of the application(s) you wish to interact with through the Start Menu. Seems like a lot of work when Start(sCmdLine) or keyboard equivalents will do the work.

BTW, support for the Start Menu and the taskbar is limited in Silk, QAP, and Visual Test.