Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: how to prevent windows from locking the computer

Is it your screen saver that is the problem?

If so, this can be used to turn it off from SilkTest. This will work for users who cannot save these values (Guest, for example):

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">[+] DisableScreenSaver ()
    [ ] integer iKey = HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    [ ] string sPath = &quot;Control Panel\Desktop\&quot;
    [ ] string sItem = &quot;ScreenSaveActive&quot;
    [ ] string sValue = &quot;0&quot;
    [ ] SYS_SetRegistryValue (iKey, sPath, sItem, sValue)
    [ ] </pre><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Otherwise, you can just right click the desktop, select Properties &gt; Desktop and select (none).
    Chris R Mead

The opinions expressed herein are my own personal opinions and do not represent my employer's view in any way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Actually, I already have it set to use no screensaver in the desktop properties, but it still froze up on the setactive attempt. It didn't even fail. When I got in to work, silk was still running waiting for the setactive command to execute. I just aborted the script which then resulted in the agent not responding.

Since the script works fine when the computer is not locked, then I just assumed that must be the problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

By locked you mean that all users are logged out and the screen shows the login boxes (or icons for XP)? This is kind of confusing since the default XP screen saver is (sort of) the login screen, even though there are other ways to end up at that screen even if (none) for screensaver is selected.

Your scripts will not work in this state. I think that Windows isn't even 'drawing' the screen stuff, so SilkTest has nothing to work with. If want to run tests with your screen locked (for security, I suppose), you can use Remote Desktop. As long as RD is up somewhere, your scripts will work. As soon as you quit RD, they will no longer be able to run, though.
    Chris R Mead

The opinions expressed herein are my own personal opinions and do not represent my employer's view in any way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Let me clarify... I am on windows 2003. When I leave at night, the computer automatically locks itself after a certain time period of not being used but it does not log me out... the message says something to the affect: "this computer is in use and has been locked. Only {my username} or administrator can unlock this computer." It is the same as hitting ctrl-alt-delete and hitting the lock computer button. I don't WANT to run the test with my computer locked. I just don't know how to change the windows settings so it doesn't lock. It is a default setting that I'm not sure how to turn off. I'm actually not even using remote desktop so I'm not sure how leaving a remote desktop open will help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

My apologies to you Chris Mead. Turns out that the user I run my scripts under does have a screensaver turned on. I will turn the screensaver off now and see what happens when the automation kicks of tonight. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

how to prevent windows from locking the computer

Hello,

I am running into an issue with my scripts that run overnight. They are freezing up on the first line of code which is SetActive. I assume it is because my computer is locked when the script begins.

Does anyone know where to go in windows to change this setting so the computer does not get locked?

Thanks.