User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

QA Partner \"hangs\" system when closing certain windows

Hi,

I've noticed that when QA Partner attempts to close some windows (under the pretext that they are MessageBoxes) it hangs the system (The keyboard/mouse stop responding).. To free the computer again, one may press ctrl-esc or ctrl-alt-del and the control will be returned to the user.

I tried reproducing what the script was doing by hand and noted that the system does not hang when I do it .. Something must be wrong with the script or the agent itself .. How do you guys deal with message boxes created by Visual C++ which tell you the program has crashed and so and so address and that you should press OK, or Cancel? I can't seem to close them correctly..

For some of these windows, QA Partner sees them as children of the desktop, but as soon as I try closing them, running GetAppId() or GetCaption(), QA Partner says it can not find the window (or throws some sort of exception) .. Ideas?
    Gili Tzabari

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: QA Partner \"hangs\" system when closing certain windows

I've been having problems with the Close method also. Unfortunately its not consistent which makes it hard to reproduce for Segue Support/Development. I'm running multitestcases in a loop, connecting to six machines. Each loop launches the application, executes some steps, then closes. I was having lots of problems with I have fixed the problem partially by sending an Alt-F4 the window instead of using the default Close method.

You can also try using Record Window Identifiers to make sure that you've got a valid window declaration.

Hope this helps.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been able to reproduce the problem consistently. . . I've partially solved the problem by capturing the class declaration of all windows I plan to close which are known to have problems (normally I just treated them as generic "MessageBox" dialog boxes and other apps which are not message boxes but simply do not have a class declaration associated with them..

My only problem now is that when a Visual C++ application fails, it gives out a GPF message in a dialog box which stays on top of all other windows.. When I try to close all open windows (in the DefaultBaseState or in a function called CloseAllWindows() which was written by one of my co-workers) QA Partner tries to click on windows which are hidden by the GPF message and aborts the script with a message indicating that the buttons were covered. I do not know how to handle such a case as I have no way of telling QA Partner to move the window into the visible desktop space.. Furthermore, the Visual C++ GPF dialog box only has a closing icon, no minimizing icon .. If I close the GPF window, it kills the main application which has crashed and takes all the other windows with it. I can't have that as I need to capture the contents of all message boxes before closing them..

Any ideas?
    Gili Tzabari

Go to Agent/Options/Verification and turn off "Verify that windows are exposed". Then take a close look at the Fault tab contents.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the "Fault tab"?
    Gili Tzabari

> What's the "Fault tab"?

The Options/Agent dialog contains a Fault tab (in the upper-left corner) where you can define what QAP does when the application under test encounters a GPF. I typically have everything in this tab checked so that QAP can restart the app and continue testing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hrm.. I don't have this tab at all.. Which version of QA Partner are you using?
    Gili Tzabari

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I remember correctly, fault trapping was available in QAP 4.5.1 but not in 4.6. You need to check the release notes for whatever version you are using.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In version 5 this option is in the Extensions dialog.

------------------
    --Nadine
    --Nadine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could someone please list all the options found in this new fault-tolerance dialog box? I want to know which options I am missing. Furthermore, does QualityWorks offer some sort of upgrade plan from 4.0 to 6.0?
    Gili Tzabari