Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using multiple programs in one testcase

Hi,

I captured multiple test frames. Each has its own .inc file with its own wMainWin defined. I first ran into problems when I created testcases which required the use of multiple frames (ie: I'd have two programs working together in one testcase). I therefore moved the variable "wMainWin" into one shared .inc file (since having one wMainWin per .inc file conflicted and I couldn't include both files).. I would then configure wMainWin to the appropriate value (in main()) before calling each testcase.

My problem is that now I began using .pln files.. In the case of .pln files when I call individual testcases, I cannot set the value of wMainWin beforehand. So I ask you, how would one use .pln and .t files with multiple testcases where wMainWin is different in each .inc file but each one of these testcases requires the use of multiple .inc files?

Please reply by email to "gtzabari@matrox.com"

Thank you,

Gili
    Gili Tzabari

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Using multiple programs in one testcase

AJ's right. I should have asked more about why you're using multiple frame files.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

What you need to do is use option sets. Option sets allow you to save all of the Runtime Options and Agent Options settings in a .opt file. You can Use Options-->Open,Save,Close. Create a separate optionset for each test frame. Then from Organizer use the optionset: app1.opt command for app1's tests and optionset: app2.opt for the other application's tests. Email if you need more information

Hope this helps

John Green
    AutomationExpertise

AJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1st I would like to ask you more about your environment:

Are you using multiple frame files because you have multiple products to test, or are you using them because you have a product that consists of multiple applications?

if you are using them for multiple products that have nothing to do with each other (no interaction or integration) then the Options Files are the way to go.

else if you are using them for an application that has many seperate modules) then I recommend declaring them all in the same frame file, but having only one window as wMainWin and the rest would still be of Class MainWin, and they each have a sCmdLine inside them, but you would still have them all declared in the same window. To do this however, you have to watch the use of wMainWin.Something (), and only use it for the window which you think is the main window.

-AJ
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello,

I am using multiple (seperate) applications to accomplish a given functionality. Say, I want to record an AVI file and then play it back using a player I wrote up. My testcase would consists of 2 stages: one during which I use one appication to capture the file and a second where I actually test the player by playing back. I do not want to seperate these two applications into two different testcases as they are intricately involved and I do not want to stick them inside the same .inc file because some other app might need to use one (but not both) of these applications in the future. What do I do?

Gili
    Gili Tzabari

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

I almost figured this entire mess out. Tell me, is there a way for me to use "optionset: 'somefilename.opt'" inside a .t file? If this option isn't exclusive to .pln files then I'll simply load one .opt file per testcase and declare wMainWin in the "compiler constants" section of the runtime options.

Gili
    Gili Tzabari

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, now I understand what you want.

What I do when I want to share window declarations with another group is to place them in another file other than where my wMainWindow statement is located. Then I use a "use appwindows.inc" statement to include the windows into the file with wMainWindow. This is a little cumbersome but it works.

John Green

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While your solution would work, in theory, it is extremely combersome.. Wouldn't it require one .inc file for each possible combination? For example, if I had two utils called CueFile and CueRec and I had a .inc file with wMainWin declaration and a "use" for these two files, this is one combination.. Another possible combination would be for me to use the same wMainWin but replace one of the two apps by another one. See what I mean? What I need to do is have wMainWindow be able to change on runtime and not have to have one per combination of tools but rather one per each possible wMainWindow (ie: different .inc files, but the main window is still the same)

Perhaps it is possible to make use of the keyword "private" to hide wMainWindow from other files and someone have the testcase refer to the correct one (inside the correct file) directly? Probably not but I'll give it a try later on today..

Thanks for your help!

Gili
    Gili Tzabari

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This topic has been a great concern here because of the modularity vs. project oriented view. Our Solution so far has been to keep the declarations separate and focus the set of applications in the environment through the scripts. By having use statements in the scripts you are free to change the mix of apps as your requirements change, and you don't limit your future efforts. We also run a lot from command line .bat files to allow the switching between wMain without having to customize your declarations for the current project. It takes some of the control away from the recovery/QAP system but in turn allows you more control for the task at hand.

------------------
    Len Jagelski
    Automation Engineer
    Lotus, cc:Mail
    Len Jagelski
    Automation Engineer
    Lotus, cc:Mail

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

In addition to the option set, you may want to try using libraries ".lib" instead of the include ".inc" in the Options/Runtime/Use Files.
    Samples:
    a) myapp1.lib - contains your main windows declarions plus other .inc files as follows:
    // this is the first line of the .lib file
    use "mainapp.inc"
    use "other2.inc"
    use "other3.inc"

b) myapp2.lib - has different sets of .incs
    use "mainapp.inc"
    use "other1.inc"
    use "other3.inc"
    //
    // You simply add the proper include files needed for your tests. You can even just copy your first .lib (that includes all the .inc files you have) then simply comment out the ones you don't need.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast