SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Posting results files

I need to post *.res files to a directory where my black box team can see them as soon as they are produced. Unfortunately, Silk's *.res files are in some proprietary format that can only be opened in the Silk editor.

I also don't like the Export command, because it doesn't include "print" lines that are visible from the native Results file (and we use "print" a lot). If I could automate a way to use the "Extract" command, I would be much happier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Posting results files

What I did on my last job was I created a LOG function. Instead of using print, I called the LOG function with the information. It time stamped the line and saved it to a file as well as to the Result File. It also would log it as an error or warning based on what was passed to it:
    LOG("my message", type)

Where type was anything I wanted, but if it was "ERROR" or "WARN" then it was logged as that in the result file.

The function also allowed for appeneded to an existing log or starting over.

I still have the files (alother I am not currently using them) if you want. Or, make your own to suite your needs. Only downside is if the Verify function is used, which gives a nice file compare.

The location of the files could be anyplace you want (set in the registry). The files could be e-mailed or sent to a web page if you really wanted since it was plain text.

(Note: the code was writen for SilkTest 2.1.4)

------------------
    David Genrich
    Icarian
    333 Moffett Park Drive
    Sunnyvale, CA 94089
    davidg@icarian.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi there,

The easiest way to do what you want is to use the TestCaseExit (BOOLEAN bExcept) function. If this function is defined, it overrides DefaultTestCaseExit (). The function can contain a call to DefaultTestCaseExit (bExcept). It can also write any format you like anywhere you like using Silk's functions for appending to files, writing records. You can use functions like GetTestCaseErrorCount, GetTestCaseWarningCount, ExceptNum () to retrieve the information you want to write to the file. I've created a function that exports SilkTest results to HTML.

Please reply for more information.

John Green
    johnwgreen@hotmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't that method still just print the result data, as oppossed to any calls to Print(), ListPrint(), LogError(), LogWarning(), etc?

All of this information currently goes to the Result File. However, using Export, only the nermical result data is printed, not the contents of the result file. Using Extract, all the information is there, but an Extract can't be done form the command line (at least it isn't documented).

From what the orginal poster is implying, they need to get all that "other information" out as well.

------------------
    David Genrich
    Icarian
    333 Moffett Park Drive
    Sunnyvale, CA 94089
    davidg@icarian.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think what he wants to do is post a file to a specific directory where the file is is a format which is readable. TestCaseExit () allows you to do ANYTHING you want at the end of a testcase. This can include writing to an ascii file. By using DefaultTestCaseExit () from within TestCaseExit, you still get the results file in its normal format.

Hope this helps.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can also use the command line argument -resexport to do the same thing. Or call the functions ResExport or ResExportOnClose from the script.
    Cheers.