Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Sheridan Grid and Typekeys?

I am trying to use the typekeys method to simulate how a user would enter information. When I use the setItem method it just forces the info onto the cell,( which is ok in most cases) but i have quite a few cases where the cell only takes a certain number of chacters, and I though if i use a Grid.TypeKeys (); that it would enter it onto the grid as a user would, problem is they I use this method, nothing get's typed into the cell. I have also tried wrapping the statement in like this.
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">withoptions
    {
    // Tell the AGENT we are in play mode...
    BindAgentOption(OPT_PLAY_MODE, &quot;Win32&quot;

// Type in the value...
    //this.TypeKeys (sValue);

// Set the value of the cell in question...
    this._SetItemProp (&quot;Columns&quot;, iColumn, &quot;&quot;, &quot;Text&quot;, sValue); // NOTE: This will probably throw an exception if
    // the data types don't match!
    } </pre><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Now if i use the _SetItemProp method If puts the information in, but it's not accounting for the amount of chacters that can be put into the cell, and the AUT dies.

Does anyone have any suggestion's or have you seen this type of behavior?

Thanks in advance,
    N+ CNA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Sheridan Grid and Typekeys?

Yes...The developer was not counting on someone entering text into a field by a means other than the keyboard or the mouse. Using this method is bypassing those input methods. Their error checking was probably looking for key or mouse events, not using the Grid's API directly.

You could log a bug for it, but the developer would probably just respond by saying that since a regular user of the app won't do that, they are not going to fix it.

I personally wouldn't use that method to input text into the grid. If your automated script don't behave the same way that a user would, you aren't testing the app like a real user and will likely have bugs creep up on you.

IMHO- Unless your job is to test the API, a tool needs to use the mouse and/or the keyboard to create actions. Stick with TypeKeys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

That is exaclly what I am trying to do, but when I use typekeys it does not put anything into the cell. My question is since typekeys is not working how would I simulate it so it act's like a user?

Thanks in advance,
    N+ CNA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Is it a case where the cell needs to be set active first (i.e. clicked in) before the user can type text into it? It might be that the TypeKeys is sending the keys into the grid, but if the cell hasn't been set active first, the keys might be ignored.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Yes, TypeKeys directly to a grid without a cell being active are usually ignored. We had to use locations - (relative to the Grid) to click on such cells.

Thanks and Regards,
    Harshil

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

How do you get the cell's location to click into, w/o hardcoding cell location's? The grid i am using, each column can be relocated, so is there a way to determine the cell's location on the grid?

Thanks in advance.
    N+ CNA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Ok I calculate a tab routine that will take to any cell in the grid, with focus to that cell. And when I do a typekeys is still doesn't type anything into the cell. Now I can replicate this manually, navigate to the cell in question, and then type into that cell, w/o using the mouse. So is there any reason why it't now working in the script when I am doing it exaclly like the user, or so i think???

Thanks in advance.
    N+ CNA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

The grid may have a method available to it to return which cell is active, or to return the RECT of a grid cell. You could use this information to first click in the grid to activate a particular cell or to use the arrow keys to navigate to the cell you need active.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Oops, sorry: forgot to mention. The cell is seen as a textfield when the cursor is in the cell. We typekeys to that TextField. Check out the declaration for the cell in your case when the cursor is inside it.

Thanks and Regards,
    Harshil