SPONSORS:

User Tag List

SYS_Execute does not recognise my executable or batch file

I have been trying to use the SYS_Execute function to run a commandline application. The application being called is part of the NT toolkit, and is called kill.exe; what it does is kill any process you specify as a parameter
    e.g. ''kill agent16.exe'', to use an example of the syntax. Now, I have this executable in my path (I'm sure because I can run it by hand in a dos-box) but whenever I try to run it using SYS_Execute in a script, all that happens is I get ''{The name specified is not recognized as an, internal or external command, operable program or batch file.}'' I tried putting the command as the contents of a batch file and calling that from SYS_Execute, but again it claimed it couldn't work out what I was talking about.
    Anybody ever had any similar problems?
    Is there some option I need to set differently or something?

Vince

Re: SYS_Execute does not recognise my executable or batch file

Update on not being able to execute this application by using SYS_Execute(); it turns out that it works when I'm running the script on my host machine, but not on a different one. Now I'm really stumped, because I definitely can't think of a relevant difference between the two machines (like I said before, I had got the path set correctly, because I can get it to work from a dos prompt on both computers, and there isn't anything else I can think of at all.

Here are two solutions:

do
    MainWin(''*'').Start(''{Path_To_Kill}\kill.exe {sProcess}'')
    except

or you can download a file that's posted on betasoft.com's download page:
    SYS_Execute dll written by Richard Weth, help is included.

Good luck.

-AJ Alhait (webmaster)

Vincent
    Here is an important differance. Many user paths have the concept of current run from directory or ''.''.

In QAP or Silk the default path is different that the one in a dos box. The default path in QAP is the directory you are running your script from. I have two suggestions:

(1) First fully qualify your executable and see if it runs like you want it to
    (I bet it does).

(2) If that works you probably want to qualify the directory that utility is in. Many people have a special ''bin'' directory set aside for goodies like these (I do anyway) that is already in the use path. When you get another goody it goes in this pre-designated directory.

Let me know how this works out.

Rick W

By the way my SyS_EXECUTE is primarily for people on backlevel versions of QAP on win95 or 98. I doubt that useing my sys_execute will change the behavior of this or any other problem on silk 5.0 or higher.