SPONSORS:

User Tag List

SYS_EXECUTE for Win95 users .. (I hope)

Hi all

Yes its me again. I have never particularly appreciated the lack of support that comes with QAPs
    Command SYS_EXECUTE. Specifically for windows 95 .. lets face it this can be a very important interface.

Well I hacked up what I hope to be a generic solution. Its not a blue medal winner BUT it will provide this missing functionlity (I hope). The solution handles this problem by making the system call through
    A dll function int _System(char* appname); .. in the enclosed file qasystem_dll.dll. This functionlity is wrapped via the function written in 4TestL:
    integer System(string command,inout List of String out_list optional) .. and is the interface that you would use. There is an example along with the Generic Solution embedded in this function in file system_script.t.

Anyway the dll will re-direct the output from the passed command to a file (very poor performance)
    And read this file after the command executes back to the passed list (which is optional). The interface for
    System is the same as for SYS_EXECUTE except for performance and the way its done. Also the intermediate results file is set up to be generic (there is that word again):
    Such that the file that is written to is string out_file = ''{SYS_GetEnv(''TEMP'')}\sys_output.txt''

Here in lies the choice that users will want to make:
    A user may want this file elsewhere, on a distributed file where you can distribute the call (its local now)
    Or maybee the User wants to tailor the file name, or placement. This is up to you the user .. have fun wi it!

Also I did not test this (typical developer!!!) I leave that to the SYS_EXECUTE starved Win95 users!!
    I do not make any false promises I think this should work in your environments quite well, but
    there may be a good reason Segue does not support this in Win95 that I may have overlooked??
    Do tell me how this works for you. Enclosed in this zip package hosted by betasoft in the download section under this subject,are the following files:
    (1) this readme in txt and doc format
    (2) qa_system_dll.dll .. you have to put this in your system path
    (3) system_script.t .. contains the function System how to declare the dll and a working example

Good Luck !!

Re: SYS_EXECUTE for Win95 users .. (I hope)

Tim Anderson from Segue wrote me and said:
    ''Just FYI: SilkTest 5.0, which just shipped, has much improved
    SYS_Execute () support on Win95. It actually has been around for
    a while, but with 5.0 I would say it actually works reliably.''

So I would encourage Win95 Users who can get this upgrade or who were going to anyway .. get the functionality through SYS_EXECUTE.

However anyone else on a backlevel QAP
    on Win95 who would like the missing functionality should go for it this way!