Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Estimating manual time for Silk tests

Does anyone have any ideas for estimating the time it would take to run a Silk test manually? I'd like something more specific than just giving a rough guess, and don't want to take the time to go through the hundreds of tests manually to find out for myself.

I'm thinking of some sort of way to parse the actual scripts, assigning a time to each command and totalling the time as it works its way through. So, for example, I could assign every Click() to be 1 second, and VerifyProperties() 1 second for every item it checks, and so on. Does something like this exist? Or does someone do this a different way?

Cheers,

Ben

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Estimating manual time for Silk tests

I donít think that you can do that. There is no one to one relationship between how long it takes automation to do a task compared to a person. If you are looking for a selling point for automation over people, there is not one. Automation is a tool to be used by the testers to get their testing done much faster and to provide better coverage of the AUT.

As for speed of automation
    Some of our tests take longer to run then if a person sat down and did it themselves. Others execute in a fraction of the time it takes a person to execute. The real benefit is that automation can do the exact same process over and over again. It will work through lunch; it will work on Friday after 5 and not stop until the task is complete.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

How long SilkTest takes varies depending on the type of application being tested. On a C/C++ client/server application SilkTest playback is many times faster than a human would take. I'd venture to say 10 times as fast.

With a browser SilkTest time versus human time might actually be the same or slower. SilkTest can read the screen faster than a human does, but it only starts looking at it when it is fully loaded (AppReady state), whereas a human will start to verify objects while the page is still loading. If the page has a lot of objects on it, and it takes a while for the page to load, a human might be as fast or even faster than SilkTest to verify the page. If the page loads fast, SilkTest will be faster than the human.

The other factor to consider is that the browser will be slower in general while SilkTest is interacting with it because of the way it communicates with it. I estimate that the browser itself is 10% slower while being driven by a tool than when it is driven by a human alone.

In either case, as the previous post states, what is important is that with automation, humans can be freed up to use their creativity to create new test scenarios and let the test coverage that the automation provides continue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

How about if I let you guys sit in on my next meeting with my boss? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Our company has just invested in automation, and they are looking to see whether to cost (software, support, testcase creation time, etc.) is worth the result. I know what you are saying - that the real value is more than just development time compared to testcase run time. It allows us to run tests when we're not even in the office; it lets us get product builds more often, which in turn lets us catch bugs faster; and it performs all the repetitive mundane tests freeing us up to do more thorough ad hoc testing. Yet, my bosses have bosses, and they want the hard data and calculations. So... I've got to give them something, and my guesses aren't good enough for them. So, maybe I'll have to just jury-rig something. Any other ideas are welcome.

Thanks,

Ben