SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone used SilkTest to restore clean Operating Systems ?

For manual install tests, we have been using the Norton Ghost utility to restore pristine operating systems. Theoretically this could be automated. I could have the script make changes to BOOT.INI and AUTOEXEC.BAT and reboot to make Ghost run and reboot automatically. Then I could put the agent in the clean OS and have it start automatically on boot. I see some potential pitfalls in this and I was wondering if anyone else has done something like this ? Perhaps someone has a better way to do the same thing ? First pitfall -- Windows NT security won't let the computer log onto the network without some administaion. Solution -- Log on locally and connect to drives individually. Second pitfall -- Windows 2000 doesn't seem to use BOOT.INI to see where to boot from. I haven't looked in this one yet. Any helpful hints would be appreciated.

Re: Has anyone used SilkTest to restore clean Operating Systems ?

We have been using ImageCast IC3 by Innovative Software to perform restoration of clean Win9x O/S images on our target test systems.

Using Silk, we are able to control the entire process of interacting with the ImageCast Control Center app, which runs on automation host PCs, to manage the imaging process on our remote test target PCs. We are able to do this without special boot floppies for each target, which allows us to execute most of our test suites under 3 or 4 O/Ses without the need for human intervention.

Altiris makes a similar product called LabExpert, which our host AJ is partial to.

We use the TweakUI tool to handle the network login issue after a reboot, but I'm not sure if TweakUI works with WinNT.

BTW, ImageCast has been updated to include support for Win2000.

------------------

Tony Mrozinski
    Sr. Software Test Automation Engineer
    Home Networking Operations
    Intel Corporation

AJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Has anyone used SilkTest to restore clean Operating Systems ?

Read this thread:
    http://www.qaforums.com/boards/ubb/F...ML/000063.html

I wrote an article about this not too long ago It's linked there also.

------------------
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.