User Tag List

Thread: Why not JTest?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why not JTest?

I'm fairly new to testing and I've been tasked with finding a good testing tool. I've looked at Mercury, Rational, JTest, and Seque. We are a small, emerging company developing applications in Java. There will be only 2 of us using the tool initially to test our core software engine and setting up automated regression testing.

My initial impression is that JTest is extremely easy to use. I was able to do interesting things with it immediately, while the others seem to have a steep learning curve. In our situation, in which there will probably not be one person testing full-time, will we be missing out on any major features by going with JTest? Are there any problems with JTest that I haven't yet found?

Any help will be appreciated very much.

Thank you,
    Jonathan

AJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Why not JTest?

Hi, can you tell me who makes JTest? Also fill us in on it's features, language, good qualities and bad if you've seen any

------------------
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The JTest webpage can be found at:
    http://www.parasoft.com/products/jtest

-Ken

[This message has been edited by Hyfidel (edited 05-10-2000).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JTest is more of a development tool for Unit Tests than a QA tool. One problem with the company that makes JTest is that they only want to do a single point of contact at a company. Two of us called them and asked for the evaluation license, they would only deal with one person. The two people were from different departments and had different requirements. Very odd. They will also hound you during the evaluation.
    --Nadine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like Nadine mentioned, JTest is for Unit testing of Java API's 9and it does do that nicely). It will not do integration tests using a collection of API's, and it will not do functional testing or stess testing of any type.

It is a great tool to have in the company (if you can afford the $3000 price tag), but should be used more by the developers to unit test their API's.

------------------
    David Genrich
    Icarian
    555 North Mathilda Ave
    Sunnyvale, CA 94086
    davidg@icarian.com