User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DB_Columns with Excel

I keep getting the following exception with excel:

[ ] *** Error: (HYC00) [Microsoft][ODBC Excel Driver]Optional feature not implemented
    [ ] Occurred in DB_Columns

I followed the SilkTest documentation to the letter, but cannot seem to get the DB_Columns function to work.

I read the James Soderborg article on Segue.com and successfully got DB_ExecuteSQL to work, but before I get the contents of the spreadsheet, I want to know the column names so that I can properly map them to a Silk record structure.

Anybody been able to get DB_Columns to work with Excel? I tried Access as well, and I get the same error!

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: DB_Columns with Excel

My group's just getting into these features of silk but this sounds like you've got a problem with access/excel not silk. If it doesn't work in those there's no reason it would work in silk. We've had trouble with DB_ForeignKeys on tables with multiple catalogs through silk but this was because of how we implemented the database and not because of actual errors like this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What kind of database are you using?

I called Segue tech support with this one; hopefully they can help.

James Soderborg has had this question before from users. Here is his reponse, hope it helps clarify the error message:

As the error message states:
    [ ]***Error: (HYC00) [Microsoft][ODBC Excel Driver]Optional feature not implemented

The ODBC driver for Excel does not support using this ODBC function. As soon as someone (i.e., Microsoft) creates a driver that supports this function, then the 4Test function will work. This error message comes directly from the ODBC driver, not 4Test.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now that's interesting....according to the SilkTest documentation "DB_Columns corresponds to SQLColumns. Please consult your documentation for more information about SQLColumns."

So...I consulted the Microsoft website. According to http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/ps...k/odbc4whf.htm ("Other Excel Driver Programming Details "), the SQLColumns ODBC API is supported by the Excel ODBC driver.

According to http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/dasdk/odch8nsj.htm, this functionality was introduced in ODBC 1.0.

[This message has been edited by Nancy Pejril (edited 05-15-2000).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But the call is coming from odbc which means it doesn't matter what silk is saying -- its just reporting what you would get anyway. You should look at updating your drivers or making sure your not using incompatible drivers with your office apps. I know some people use office 6 on later WIndows versions and this causes problems or if your using some sort of development studio that automatically updates your drivers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you got a solution with this issue.
    I have exactly the same error trying to use the DB_Columns to access columns names in a Excel sheet. I use ODBC driver version 4 and something.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Again, I recommend using a different odbc client to test whether a particular sql query works in general, or whether silktest is acting up. You can work out what's going wrong in this kind of case, in a matter of seconds.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nancy Pejril:
    I keep getting the following exception with excel:

[ ] *** Error: (HYC00) [Microsoft][ODBC Excel Driver]Optional feature not implemented

I followed the SilkTest documentation to the letter, but cannot seem to get the DB_Columns function to work.

I read the James Soderborg article on Segue.com and successfully got DB_ExecuteSQL to work, but before I get the contents of the spreadsheet, I want to know the column names so that I can properly map them to a Silk record structure.

Anybody been able to get DB_Columns to work with Excel? I tried Access as well, and I get the same error!

Thanks
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi guys,

Does anybody have solutions for this. I am getting the same error.

what should I do? Any suggestions?

Thank you very much.

------------------