SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VMware and Silk Test - anyone?

Has anyone tried running Silk Test with VMware? If you don't know what VMware is.. www.vmware.com.

thanks
    Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: VMware and Silk Test - anyone?

Thanks for the reply!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DanaK:
    ...It's definitely slower, so you will want to have a higher end machine. We use the Linux and NT/2000 versions. I would recommend it more for running tests, rather than writing tests, because of the slow down.]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How slow is slow? Would 512 or a gig of ram improve performance or how about SMP? I'd like to try this product but I need to justify a day or two to configure etc..

Have you been able to run multiple agents on multiple OS's at the same time on the same Host?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DanaK:

It's also nice to look at how the tests you are writing work in different browsers/O.S's all at the same desktop!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It seems too good to be true..are there any gotchas?

Thanks
    Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We use it. It's great for getting a clean environment everytime you want to run your tests. It's definitely slower, so you will want to have a higher end machine. We use the Linux and NT/2000 versions. I would recommend it more for running tests, rather than writing tests, because of the slow down.

It's also nice to look at how the tests you are writing work in different browsers/O.S's all at the same desktop!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Linux machines are 600MHz with 256mg of RAM. I would imagine bigger = better, but we haven't tried it. By slower, I mean a testplan that normally takes between 8-9 hours to run in a non-VMWare environment takes closer to 12 hours to run in the VMWare environment.

I have successfully run tests on my 400MHz with 128mg of RAM (NT/2000 version of VMWare) with 2 guest OS's and my host OS at the same time - but again, much slower. When working in the guest OS on this machine there is a noticeable delay when moving the mouse etc, but I prefer it over 2 desktops.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DanaK:
    The Linux machines are 600MHz with 256mg of RAM. I would imagine bigger = better, but we haven't tried it. By slower, I mean a testplan that normally takes between 8-9 hours to run in a non-VMWare environment takes closer to 12 hours to run in the VMWare environment.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We are running Silk scripts on a similar Linux machine in a virtual NT environment. Our smoke test will run in 30 minutes one day and close to two hours the next, both times with a fresh reboot. Also, the agent has a hard time expanding tree views on our Java based app. I'm sure that's because of the mouse delay. I've tried adjusting the RAM settings on the configuration editor, but that doesn't seem to help performance.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks, Mike.