Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem with SilkTest. Need your help.

OK. Here is scenario. I've got script with
    following code:

It works fine if all machines are avalible for connect, but if one of machines is not avalible (powered off or windows isn't loaded) script on other machines is running very slowly. It seems like Silk trying to establish connection to one machine and sends no data to other machines.

It's a big problem for me 'couse script is rebooting machines and then connect again.
    If someone have an idea why it happens plz answer. If you need aditional info go ahead and ask.

[This message has been edited by AJ (edited 05-03-2000).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Problem with SilkTest. Need your help.

Hi,

Is there more code to execute after all the agents have gotten to the rendezvous point? Not having anything more to go on, I'd hazard a guess that the script is trying to obey the demands of the rendezvous before moving on in the script for any of the machines that have successfully connected.

Does the script timeout if any of the machines are not available in your list? Perhaps adding agent delays with a Sleep() statement or some code that will let the agent do something else if it cannot make the connection (but that might mean the troublesome machine no longer participates).

You might also look into an alternative to how you structure the multitestcase. I can't really give you more right now, sorry.

------------------
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE>
    <LI>Peter
    <LI> pfwick@epicon.com
    <LI>Epicon, Inc. [/list]
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE]
    <LI]Peter
    <LI] pfwick@nortelnetworks.com
    <LI]Epicon, Inc.
    </UL]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi !

Thanx for reply. No my code have no Sleep()s
    if one or more machine not connected.

I try this code without rendezvous ... same result ((

Question is opened ....

Individual executing threads will be effected by an attempt to Connect() to an unresponsive machine in another thread. If a machine fails to connect, an E_AGENT exception will occur, which will cause all threads to abort. You should call Connect() from within a do...except statement in your code function maintest() to prevent all threads from being aborted.

I have found that the best way to prevent concurrent threads from being adversely effected by unresponsive target machines is to connect to my targets before entering into a timing sensitive parallel testing function.

I hope this helps.

------------------

Tony Mrozinski
    Sr. Software Test Automation Engineer
    Home Networking Operations
    Intel Corporation

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use the
    The problem I am having is trying to reboot the machines. Is there an effective method to do this on all windows platforms?

[This message has been edited by Tom VonderBrink (edited 05-04-2000).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rebooting machines doesn't have to be so bad since you can use TweakUI (I hope they keep supporting it for Win2K) to automate the login procedure - but that does introduce a security risk. Get TweakUI from the Microsoft site.

What I have done is use Silktest to write out a batch file and place it in the startup folder before shutdown. The batch file can have a command line in it that starts up SilkTest and executes the next script upon reboot, etc. Use ST to control when the batch file appears/disappears and what it does. I even set it up with a string variable to dynamically call the proper script depending on the machine's characteristics.

Cheers,

------------------
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE>
    <LI>Peter
    <LI> pfwick@epicon.com
    <LI>Epicon, Inc. [/list]
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE]
    <LI]Peter
    <LI] pfwick@nortelnetworks.com
    <LI]Epicon, Inc.
    </UL]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do I get SilkTest to shutdown the machines?

Tom:

Below is a snippet of code that I use to successfully restart or shutdown multiple Win95 or Win98 (Gold, SE, ME) target machines. We do not test with WinNT, so I have no idea whether or not this code will work there.

I've tried using AJ's technique of making the API call to ExitWindows(), but I have never had any success with it. Yes, it will certainly reboot or shutdown a machine, but it also causes the Agent to pitch nasty exceptions that a do...except statement just won't handle. This causes our scripts or suites to abort prematurely. Calling Disconnect() immediately after the call to ExitWindows() does not resolve this problem. Maybe it's dependent on CPU speed or the fact that we use the NetBIOS protocol instead of TCP/IP for our Silk Agents.

The Shutdown() and Restart() functions below can be called from within concurrently executing threads.

In order to insure 100% success with these calls, I highly recommend that you unmap and unshare all drives, and terminate any active code coverage sessions (we use TrueCoverage) prior to a call to Shutdown() or Restart(). If remote machines have accessed shared drives on your target machine, a Sharing warning dialog will appear during the the reboot or shutdown. The WindowsShutDown.Execute() method attempts to Accept() this dialog in order to allow the reboot or shutdown to continue. However, I have found that occassionally (5% of the time), the appearance of this dialog may cause the automation on the affected target to go off into the tall weeds. You may need to tweak the iSharingCheck delay to get this to work.

As Peter mentioned, you will need TweakUI installed in order to get your machine past the Windows log in dialog at reboot.

------------------

Tony Mrozinski
    Sr. Software Test Automation Engineer
    Home Networking Operations
    Intel Corporation

[This message has been edited by Tony Mrozinski (edited 05-04-2000).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use my own DLL to shutdown/restart target
    machine. It works on both Win 9x and NT.

I can share it , so if you want this DLL
    just mail me.

Speaking about connection problem.
    I've try to ping target machine before call
    Connect(), but it cause same effect as Connect() ((( I dunno why it happens.
    I have no problem if all machines available ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK. It was just a bug. Script ping my local
    machine instread of target

The problem is solved now. Thanx to all !