Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Automated Norton Ghosting (non-corp edition)

Has anyone out there succeeded in automating the Norton Ghost process using SilkTest? I am interested specifically in the less expensive version of Ghost (not the corporate edition).
    Chris R Mead

The opinions expressed herein are my own personal opinions and do not represent my employer's view in any way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Automated Norton Ghosting (non-corp edition)

Yes. It can all be driven from the command line.

Several years ago, we had an automated system whereby Silk would receive "notice" that a build was done, and would kick off a series of batch processes in which a machine would essentially reboot itself, format its own hard drive and unghost a clean image. Then the new build of the AUT would be installed and Silk would dive into a Build Verification Test and (if successful) a regression suite.

It's been a long time since that was done, and I don't recall all the specifics, but I can assure you it is possible and was a fairly convoluted process. The key was the batch files. One batch file would manipulate and rewrite another and with each reboot new batch files would be automatically edited and call a new reboot. It involved some headache-producing mental gymnastics, but once it was done it was a marvelous thing to watch run.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Great. I am glad to know that it is possible. Now I need to just get it working and then get the 'remote agent install' going afterwards and I'll be in business. Piece of cake... ;-)
    Chris R Mead

The opinions expressed herein are my own personal opinions and do not represent my employer's view in any way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi DJ,

Do you happen to remember if Norton Ghost allows you to write the autoexec.bat onto the image just after 'ghosting up'? I have some sample code from the internet that I am getting ready to dig into and autoexec.bat seems to play an important role.

Also, do you remember if you used Norton Ghost CDs (or network commands) to implement your system as opposed to floppies?

If these details have slipped your mind, don't sweat it. I am just trying to get a picture in my head of where I am going.

Thanks.
    Chris R Mead