Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Starting an Application

Hi,
    I'm running scripts nightly on a remote machine from a test plan. In my scripts I start up an application, when the scripts run initially, the script stalls on the start up, it doesn't go any further. I have to abort the script, restart the Silk Agent on the remote machine and then run the scripts again. After I do this the scripts run fine. Has anyone encountered this problem of Silk Test getting hung when initially starting an application automatically?

Thanks..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Starting an Application

Search the SilkTest forum for SYS_EXECUTE and you'll find many posts about this.
    Chris R Mead

The opinions expressed herein are my own personal opinions and do not represent my employer's view in any way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi Chris,

I'm not using SYS_EXECUTE.
    This is what I'm doing:

wWindow.Start (Filename)

For the file name I'm passing the path to the executable file at runtime. This statement will execute the application but then it will just hang there. Silk test doesn't go to the next line of code to complete the testcase.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

rhafeez,

Your problem is that you need have an asynchronous start... the thing you run needs to run to completion for silk to keep going (i.e branch/fork the process). Try making a shortcut to Filename, and then use:

wWindow.Start (Filename.exe.lnk)

See if that works for you.

Chris
    Chris R Mead

The opinions expressed herein are my own personal opinions and do not represent my employer's view in any way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Chris,

Making a shortcut is not possible because I'm testing the uninstall and install of an application. Every night a new build is created and I need to test that. Also, I don't understand that the statement in the test case run fine without any problems second time around. It's just the first time that it starts up the application. Any suggestion?

Thanks,
    rhafeez

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

In of the more recent posts regarding SYS_EXECUTE and related topics someone posted code to do what you are trying to do, I think. I haven't tried the code myself. He ends up using ShellExecuteA from shell32.

Try that out. It is on page 2 and is called 'Invoking an Application.'

Myself I use the shortcut method and create shortcuts on the fly using an external call to a vbscript.
    Chris R Mead

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks, I'll look into that.