SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Segue Product Recommendations

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by patqa123:
    There are no current trial versions of this software and I am stuck in trying to figure out if this software is actually good!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can usually contact Segue for trial versions of the software.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I am interested in finding which combination of the Segue products are actually good for Web Site testing!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It depends on what you are doing for your testing. I have found very serviceable solutions with having just SilkTest and SilkPerformer. SilkRadar is good but you can save costs either by using a cheaper solution or even just building your own bug tracking system. (However, if there is no other solution it is very handy to have your bug tracker integrated with your testing programs.)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Can anyone recommend more or less to this current list of products and why? What is your experience with SilkRadar as a Bug Tracking System? How does the Segue products compare with the Mercury Products?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have not used SilkRadar or SilkRealizer much. I have found that I can do much of what I need without resorting to SilkRealizer by using the networking of SilkTest and the agents of SilkPerformer. Having said that SilkTest and SilkPerformer are excellent in my opinion. However, and it is a big however, it depends on your testing methodology.

Both tools have a learning curve because they handle automation as it should be handled - again, in my opinion. In the case of SilkTest, it treats test scripting as actual development by providing you with a very robust and extensible recovery system for exception handling and a language that is object oriented which makes development a snap - after you get used to it. (It depends how locked you are into the concept of relying solely on record-and-playback or strictly procedural languages.)

In the case of SilkPerformer it is fantastic because it allows you to accurately model a Web environment by supporting such concepts as performance modeling, burstiness factors, etc. I have sounded off on this more than once around here but, again, we have a caveat: it is good if you want to take time to set up your performance testing and robustely monitor/analyze it. It is not geared to quick, one-off performance tests or those were you simply want transaction timings for simple round-trips.

In comparison to Mercury, I think Segue simply blows them away but that is my opinion and I will say that it depends on the type of testing you are going to do. For example, Mercury's WinRunner is great for record and playback - not so great for robust test scripting and maintenance. SilkTest on the other hand does support record-and-playback but it really shines when you use the language to separate data from logic. Mercury's LoadRunner is great for generating quick load tests but is not so great on emulating actual network/Internet conditions.

I highly recommend getting evaluations of both products and doing a side-by-side comparison of actual testing you need to do - not just the examples both products ask you to try. While you can hurt yourself getting something like WinRunner for an environment that needs robust test scripting development you can equally well hurt yourself getting SilkTest when all you want is simple record-and-playback with little development and no maintenance.

Likewise with the performance tools. SilkPerformer is great if you want performance testing, performance tuning, and capacity planning but might be overkill if all you want to do is check a few response times once in a while.

[This message has been edited by JeffNyman (edited 04-21-2000).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Segue Product Recommendations

I am new to web site testing and have came across Segue in my research for Automated Testing Tools. There are no current trial versions of this software and I am stuck in trying to figure out if this software is actually good! I am interested in finding which combination of the Segue products are actually good for Web Site testing!

I gather that all I would need is the following products from Segue:
    SilkTest
    SilkPerformer
    SilkRealizer
    SilkRadar

Can anyone recommend more or less to this current list of products and why? What is your experience with SilkRadar as a Bug Tracking System? How does the Segue products compare with the Mercury Products?