Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Understanding multi/dyamic tags

Hi,

I am trying to famialize myself with dynamic tags (long overdue).

Here is an excerpt from the Help:

The GUI objectís parent can vary at runtime. For example, the Open dialog can have more than one application as a parent at runtime.

Specify that the parent is the currently active application, for example:
    "~ActiveApp/[DialogBox]Open"

I am wondering:
    * What does the / mean in this syntax?
    * Why isn't "~ActiveApp" enough? Isn't the actual line going to be something like:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">[+] window DialogBox Open
    [ ] tag &quot;Open&quot;
    [ ] parent &quot;~ActiveApp/[DialogBox]Open&quot;</pre><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Isn't the [DialogBox]Open part obvious to the compiler? What am I missing?

I can't seem to follow the reasoning for including 'the actual text' when the 'type' seems like enough.
    This table is also from the Help. What the heck?
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Tag What happens at runtime
    &quot;#xyz|MyWin&quot; A syntax error results, because #xyz is an illegal tag. The MyWin tag is never evaluated.
    &quot;Yes|OK&quot; Yes is used when both Yes and OK exist and are unique.
    &quot;Yes|OK&quot; OK is used when only OK exists.
    &quot;Yes|OK&quot; OK is used when both Yes and OK exist, but Yes is not unique.</pre><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">
    Chris R Mead

The opinions expressed herein are my own personal opinions and do not represent my employer's view in any way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Understanding multi/dyamic tags

Duh.

OK. How about this:

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">window DialogBox Open
    tag &quot;Open&quot;
    parent &quot;~ActiveApp/[MainWin]Whatever&quot;</pre><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">So this says that dialog box Open has a parent which is the active app, which is mainwin, which is called Whatever. My first example had an obvious problem, but with this one I am still confused. Isn't "~ActiveApp" enough? (to find a unique parent? Or isn't "[MainWin]Whatever" enough? (to find a parent that is a mainwin with tag Whatever)
    Chris R Mead

The opinions expressed herein are my own personal opinions and do not represent my employer's view in any way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Or... does this:

"~ActiveApp/[MainWin]Whatever"

mean the ActiveApp _OR_ a mainwin named whatever?

If so, which is eval'ed first?
    Chris R Mead

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">window DialogBox
    tag &quot;~ActiveApp/[DialogBox]Open&quot;</pre><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">OK, maybe like this means:
    * Tag is Open
    * Parent is ActiveApp
    Chris R Mead

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

OK, maybe like this means:
    * Tag is Open
    * Parent is ActiveApp
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">That is correct. Just a way to recognize the Open dialog when the Open dialog can have more than one parent.
    Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks, Tony.

So is this correct 'looking':

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">window DialogBox
    tag &quot;~ActiveApp/[DialogBox]File Download&quot;
    Pushbutton OKSave
    multitag &quot;OK&quot;
    &quot;Save&quot;
    </pre><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">A dialog box whose parent is the ActiveApp, whose tag is "File Download", with a Pushbutton that can either be called "OK" or "Save".

I am leaving out the Window ID's that were generated by the recorder. Is that OK? Or should I do this:

tag &quot;~ActiveApp/[DialogBox]File Download&quot;
    Pushbutton OKSave
    multitag &quot;OK|$1&quot;
    &quot;Save|$4419&quot;</pre><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Is the latter even valid? I can't find any examples with more than 2 items for a multitag. I chose that syntax because $1 goes with OK and $4419 goes with Save.

Thanks,

Chris

[/code]
    Chris R Mead

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

That should work.
    Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks Chris [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] this cleared my doubts too.

Thanks and Regards,
    Harshil