Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Speed issue on HUGE Html page.

I just wrote a script this morning for a member of our team that does a little maintenance routine for him. In short, he sets up hundreds of "proposals" in his testing and then has to go back and manually delete them. The delete only involves three quick steps, so it is pretty fast.

However, with each delete, the Html page reloads, and it seems Silk wants to "rescan" or "re-evaluate" the page, so instead of each delete taking 3-5 seconds, they are taking about 3 minutes.

Does anyone know off the top -o- your head, if there is some agent option or some setting I can turn off to speed this up a bit?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Speed issue on HUGE Html page.

I don't have a solution, but if you find one I'm very interested to find out. We have a page that has a list of items that grows with each piece of automation we run. But the end of our suites it's several hundred items long and just getting the list takes 2-3 minutes.

We're using ie 5.5 and 6.0 with ST 6.0.2.0
    -Josh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Try wrapping that code block with try a withoptions block:

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">withoptions
    {
    Agent.SetOption (OPT_VERIFY_APPREADY, FALSE);
    // your code here...
    }</pre><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Otherwise, if the screen is being repainted after every delete, I'd try minimizing the Browser, waiting a second or so, then restoring it.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

No luck so far. The page is divided into three frames we typically call "A", "B" and "C", A being the top frame, B being the menu on the left and C being the main content frame. Only the C frame is being refreshed. I did, however, try minimizing the restoring the browser and it had no positive effect.

I suspect Silk is walking the page with each refresh, and I'd like to find a way to get it to not do so. All I want is to locate the first HtmlLink("Delete[1]") and click it.

If I do this manually, I can whip through 25 of them in the time it takes Silk to do one.

I'll keep working the issue, but if anyone has a solution, I'm all ears! ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

To confirm your suspicion, where's the CPU time being spent during that long delay? Silk? or the Browser?

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

This is an outstanding issue that I have open with Segue. It appears that the DOM is the issue and there is no workaround for this. Try 6.5, it was just released yesterday.
    My issue has to do with a HTML page that is in our application that returns all Cisco router messages. This amounts to over 8 thousand HTML links, and after each refresh, it reevaluates the page. If someone finds a workaround, I would love to hear it.
    Good Luck,
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Can you leave most of the content of the huge page out of your declarations?

A while back I was using Silk to gather data from Google and so I declared the results page like this:

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">[+] window BrowserChild GoogleResults
    [ ] tag &quot;Google Search:*&quot;
    [ ] parent Explorer
    [+] HtmlLink Next
    [+] multitag &quot;Next&quot;
    [ ] &quot;#52&quot;
    [ ] &quot;$http:??www.google.com?search?q*&quot;</pre><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">None of the actual links, etc. are in my declaration so I assume that Silk is not verifying them, but I am not sure. I've never actually encountered the performance problem that you are fighting with. I figured it couldn't hurt to throw this idea out...
    Chris R Mead

The opinions expressed herein are my own personal opinions and do not represent my employer's view in any way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

This issue dates all the way back to 5.0 versions and earlier. I worked with silk support and no resolution was ever found. My work around: I was pulling a database table of several thousand rows into html links. Silk totally went out to lunch. In the end I access the database table directly form silk using odbc calls. The problem is that the end user of the web app will not have access to the database directly so my test is not real.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I too have a case logged on this problem, and still no resolution. However, I believe I've isolated the issue to Win2K and IE DOM, as I've heard this problem doesn't occur when the SUT has WinXP...

~ Fred

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

John,

Good question. I'll have to look at that next time this script is used. For now, it is done and will not be run again until the user creates another 6-700 accounts.

Chris,

All I have declared is the first delete link since that is all I'm looking for.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">[+] window BrowserChild BrokerProposalCenterPage
    [ ] tag &quot;Premera Blue Cross - Brokers&quot;
    [ ] parent Browser
    [+] BrowserChild ProposalTable
    [ ] tag &quot;RapidRate - Recent Quotes&quot;
    [+] HtmlLink DeleteLinkOne
    [ ] tag &quot;Delete[1]&quot;
    [+] HtmlText RapidRateProposalText
    [ ] tag &quot;RapidRate Proposal&quot;
    [ ] </pre><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Good thought though.

Jim,

Made the jump to 6.5 on one machine and it shows no improvement.

At the start, Silk was taking about 3 to 5 minutes to complete each transaction. Hacked the code to pieces and streamlined everywhere I could think of and got it to where each transaction takes about 10-15 seconds. Still for 6-700 transactions that is a lifetime. As the script worked its way through toward the end, and the page got smaller, the transactions were made more quickly to the point that as we neared the end, Silk was knocking out about 2 per second which is pretty screaming fast. So, clearly there is some sort of "evaluative" process bottleneck going on with the larger pages. As Chris indicates, Silk should be able to ignore the page unless the coder explicitly instructs it to do otherwise.

Next run of this script, I'll check CPU usage as John has requsted and will post the results here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast