Options Sets and 6.x "Projects"
I have not worked with SilkTest since 5.0.3. In that version I was able to handle my "project" needs by using (a) an Option Set for each related group of ST files combined with (b) a Drive letter mapping scheme.
I now have some confusion and questions about the new SilkTest "Project" feature added in version 6:
1. Is there any need to use Option Sets _if_ you choose to use the Project feature? Are these two features compatible or mutually exclusive? [I find the tutorial on SilkTest Projects most confusing in this area].
2. If I use the Project feature, and want to do team development that is under code control [rather than on a shared network drive], will I run into any problems--given that we will all share the same proj.vtp, proj.ini, appexpex.ini, domex.ini, and javaex.ini files? For example is there a reason that Sally will want/need to dynamically/temporarily change a setting from the "standard" established for the team for a given project?
3. Can I choose to use the Project feature and to _not_ place the domex.ini file [or any of the extension files] in the Project, but yet let each QA engineer reference it--presumable their default variant in the SilkTest install dir?
4. Are there any other issues/questions I should be asking on this subject, as it relates to team development using code controlled files [as opposed to Segue's recommendation of sharing the project files on a network drive]?
Any comments will be appreciated.
-Thanks, Terry Horwath
Re: Options Sets and 6.x "Projects"
My answers are below.
1. No need to use Options set, if you are running scripts from your projects. These two features are compatible. In the recent version, you have to set extensions and other settings to each project. If you want to run your scripts from command line, you have to point out project file or options set.
2. I don't think so, pbm will be raised.
3. Recent version (6.0) of silktest needs separate configuration for each project. So that it is copying required extension files into project folder. In your case, It will be problematic, while requiring specific extension.
4. Still I haven't tried the shared scripts. Somebody will help you..
[ 10-14-2003, 02:45 AM: Message edited by: tmpalaniselvam ]