User Tag List

MB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SilkTest and the Registry

My application has a problem with Acrobat 4.0. It appears that when Acrobat 4.0 is installed the following 4 keys can be found in the REGISTRY:
    + HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Component Categories\{7DD95801-9882-11CF-9FA9-00AA006C42C4}
    + HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Component Categories\{7DD95801-9882-11CF-9FA9-00AA006C42C4
    + HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Component Categories\{7DD95802-9882-11CF-9FA9-00AA006C42C4}
    + HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Component Categories\{7DD95802-9882-11CF-9FA9-00AA006C42C4

The problem lies in the second and fourth entries, they do not end with a squiggly bracket.

My solution is to remove them from the REGISTRY and Acrobat and my app work just fine.

My problem, how to identify they exist using SilkTest.

This is how I am trying to see if they exist and it is not currently working.
    Print (SYS_GetRegistryValue(HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, "Component Categories", "{7DD95801-9882-11CF-9FA9-00AA006C42C4"))

When I go to compile I get the following syntax error: DD95802

The problem, as I see it, is with the squiggly brackets but how to avoid them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: SilkTest and the Registry

Normally the Silk Test compiler interprets braces {} (squiggly brackets) for extracting contents from variable names.

Therefore I think you might have to "escape" the brace characters in the registry key name, to disable the attempted intepretation. That might be what is causing the Silk syntax error.

In Silk Test, the double quote " character is used for escaping. This is explained in the Silk Test documentation under the Help menu, index keyword "STRING data type".

------------------
    Charles F. Radley - CSQE
    Oregon, USA.
    Quality Control Analyst at Syntel Inc
    Project Test Lead for client Daimler Trucks - North America.
    Interested in testing dot net web services and SOA systems.
    Charles F. Radley
    Oregon, USA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got your statement to compile by adding another double quote character before the open brace { character.

Print (SYS_GetRegistryValue(HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, "Component Categories", ""{7DD95801-9882-11CF-9FA9-00AA006C42C4"))

------------------
    Charles F. Radley - CSQE
    Oregon, USA.
    Quality Control Analyst at Syntel Inc
    Project Test Lead for client Daimler Trucks - North America.
    Interested in testing dot net web services and SOA systems.
    Charles F. Radley
    Oregon, USA.

MB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you, it does work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do not recall how to get around that problem but another approach that might work is to give the Windows Scripting Host a try. Win98 has it built in and WinNt can support it if you install it. You can also add it on to Win2000. You can use VBScript to write a script that will seek out that registry key and delete if it is there. You could then trigger that script using SilkTest and then use ST to check on the presence (actually absence) of the misbehaving keys and proceed.

Check out the C:\WINDOWS\SAMPLES\WSH directory in Win98 for some scripts already made in both javascript and vbscript and modify them. There are vbscript and javascript references online to help you. You can really do a lot with this device.

Cheers,

------------------
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE>
    <LI>Peter
    <LI> pfwick@epicon.com
    <LI>Epicon, Inc. [/list]
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE]
    <LI]Peter
    <LI] pfwick@nortelnetworks.com
    <LI]Epicon, Inc.
    </UL]