User Tag List

Thread: blue agent?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

blue agent?

We've just started evaluating tools and we're looking at Segue. I like to read these boards first so when we talk to the company I have some idea of their product line and have good questions to ask. At this point I understand the difference between Silk and what was QAPartner. But I see references to things called the "BlueExpress Agent". DOes anyone know what this is? I can't find it on Segue's site and I'm not sure if this is some other product.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: blue agent?

BlueExpress is "AS/400 and mainframe support".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can anyone tell whether the blue express works well with as400/ as wellas mainframe application. I have used it on mainframe and its good at converting the edit fields into text fields. But I cannot read the static text from the screen. Does anyone have any suggestions. Right now I am entering data using blue express but when it comes to reading statit text data I don;t use blue express. Rather I copy everything into clipboard and parse the field i want.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a terminal emulator tester. If it can be seen through Rhumba, BlueExpress can do it.

And, see above. John Miller already called it a tool for testing AS/400 applications.

- Dave

------------------
    Amelior Technology
    dreed@ameliortech.com
    WaltzingRhino.com
    A concerned Borland customer, a fly in the ointment, a wrench in the works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It might be more accurate to call it an "emulator" than an "emulator testor." If you are a company that builds emulation products, Silk cannot test them because it cannot see the "green screens." However, if your purpose is to test the AS/400 or MF itself, BlueExpress will allow this. Segue has hooked into it so it knows what is on the emulated screen.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is funny, I had used Silk for years and saw references to Blue Express -- without knowing what it was.

I figured it was one of those great "features" that Segue's marketing department came up with and I just wanted to stay away from. Also, I do not automatically associate "Blue" with "IBM" and "IBM" with "Mainframe", as I guess I am supposed to.

So when I needed to test the interaction between our new server and the legacy server, I went and created my own "test harness" for our standard 3270 emulator.

I just adapted similar code I had as a test harness for Telnet.

Works great -- also much simpler than learning all of the "Blue" lingo.

------------------
    Rob Kapteyn
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rob,

What is nice about blue express is that it has already scraped the mainframe or as400 screen for you and presents that interface as objects for silk test. Much more reliable than a telnet session.

Regards,

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TestArch:

Yeah, that would have been nice ...
    But then again, i'm not actually testing the mainframe -- I am just creating test inputs that get sent to our new Java based servers.

That system will not change -- so there is no sense reworking it now.

I would be interested in studying a BLUE frame file to see just how I like it.
    (Another test group here might be able to use it)

------------------
    Rob Kapteyn
    Rob Kapteyn, CSTE
    RobKapteyn@gmail.com