Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Comparing pdf files.

Hi All,

Is there a way to compare two pdf files directly in silktest. Currently we are doing it by SYS_CompareText or run some "diff" tool by using SYS_Execute. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] .. Does anyone know a better way to do this..

Thanks in advance,
    Sanjaya Sahu
    Sanjaya Sahu

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Comparing pdf files.

The full version of Acrobat 4, 5, or 6 has a built-in graphical compare feature...maybe you can drive this function via Silk?

FYI: PDF files usually simultaneously contain ASCII data and binary data.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Sanjaya Sahu,

I've never been able to get Silk to see anything about a PDF other than the filename in the windows title bar.

In order to verify PDFs, I have a little utility that one of my team members pulled off the internet that will convert the PDF to a txt file. Then we parse that file for the information we expect to find.

I tried to attach that utility, but it is 154k, and the site limits upload file sizes to 150k. You're not displaying an email address in your profile, so I can't email it to you. If you can get me that address, and if you want this utility, I'll send it to you via email.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi DJ,
    It'll be very helpful to me if you can send me the utility. My email address is sanjay_sahu_52@yahoo.co.in

Thanks,
    Sanjaya Sahu
    Sanjaya Sahu

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Search the SilkTest archives here for PDF (or pdftohtml). This topic has been discussed before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Search for a command-line utility called: pdftotext. It works very well...and can be called via Silk. Although, this only converts PDF text, if there are any images, you are out of luck.