Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to create master result files i Silk 5.02

Hi Members,

I am facing the following probleme:

Suppose i have recorded a testcase. After rerunning that test case i want to compare the results with the standard one. But how i can create MASTER RESULT FILE to compare?

Please reply.

------------------
    Atul Patil
    Prabodhan Exports (I) P. Ltd.
    Pune India

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: How to create master result files i Silk 5.02

If I understand the question correctly, you simply want to run a particular testcase twice, and compare the results files?

After running the testcase the first time, located the .res file on your hard disk and rename it. Run the testcase again and then compare the 2 files.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Damian Synadinos:
    If I understand the question correctly, you simply want to run a particular testcase twice, and compare the results files?

After running the testcase the first time, located the .res file on your hard disk and rename it. Run the testcase again and then compare the 2 files.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quality Control Analyst at Syntel Inc
    Project Test Lead for client Daimler Trucks - North America.
    Interested in testing dot net web services and SOA systems.
    Charles F. Radley
    Oregon, USA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Damian Synadinos:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

======================================

But how do you do this ? The .res files are binary and there is no diff for them.

I solve this by replacing the standard "print" function with a print to a text filehandle. I created a function calls logprint for this, it also writes to the log file and does pushTestInfo to the runtime window as well.

The ascii text files can then be compared with gnu diff.

------------------
    Charles F. Radley - CSQE
    Oregon, USA.
    Quality Control Analyst at Syntel Inc
    Project Test Lead for client Daimler Trucks - North America.
    Interested in testing dot net web services and SOA systems.
    Charles F. Radley
    Oregon, USA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
    The .res files are binary and there is no diff for them.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point. Maybe I was thinking about bringing both .res files up in SilkTest? Maybe not. <shrug>

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

storing results externally from Silk, e.g. in a TXT file or better yet, in a results logging database is indeed the best overall solution, and can be done by modifying the Reovery system, specifically the TestCaseExit function.

for the immediate question posed on the thread, however, it might be simpler to point out that the RES file already stores multiple sets of results. Note that when a RES file is on screen in Silk, there is a Results menu, and therein you will find a Select... dialog box with the last X number of results, where X is set by History Size in the Runtime, Options... dialog. I usually increase it from the default (5 I think) to something higher, like 15.

------------------
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>It doesn't matter if I go to heaven or to hell, I have friends in both places.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    <BLOCKQUOTE]<font size=1 face=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]quote:</font]<HR]It doesn't matter if I go to heaven or to hell, I have friends in both places.<HR]</BLOCKQUOTE]